RNE and Carteira de Identidade Estrangeiro

I had my stolen along with my mobile phone , how  can i get another and what documents do i need ,,,, will my passport be enough ?

Hi Rick,

First of all it is obligatory that you file a police report for the stolen document, that should be with the Policia Civil in the city where the theft took place.

Once that is done you take the Boletim de Ocorrência and your passport to the Policia Federal to request a replacement of the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro.

I've not personally dealt with loss of a CIE before, but it is likely that you're going to have to pay the fee for 140139      Taxa      CARTEIRA DE ESTRANGEIRO (OUTRAS VIAS)     R$502,78. Not the greatest of news... I'd check with them first before printing of that GRU and paying it.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

I almost was in the  same situation except it turned out the wallet fell in behind the sofa and didn't lose my CIE after all.  In Manaus they are supposed to accept the passport and the letter stating the loss by the civil police after paying the fee. However they required one extra  step that I visit the consular office of the US and get a consular letter from them proving my passport is mine and I am who I say I am, even though the passport is supposed to be accepted for Identity. Be prepared they may ask for it if you live in Manaus according to the website it isn't required,  but here they make up rules as they go along.  My advice is once you get it replaced opt to have a duplicate issued they will do it for a fee and you will have a second usable copy in case disaster happens again.  Yes it is expensive to replace the card the replacement being more expensive than getting it originally issued.