Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

Bring Non-EU parent to live permanently

Hi,

Is it possible for Non-EU parents of EU citizens to come over and live permanently in Belgium? I knew it was possible earlier but apparently some rules changed in 2011 but Im not finding any latest info about it.

Thanks for any input.

difficult i'm from belgium and i need also to many papers for my turkish husband

solexhonda :

Hi,

Is it possible for Non-EU parents of EU citizens to come over and live permanently in Belgium? I knew it was possible earlier but apparently some rules changed in 2011 but Im not finding any latest info about it.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry, it is not possible anymore. Only spouse and children can come over to live with you permanently.  (ie, Family Reunion is restricted to only spouse and children).

Is it Possible to bring Non EU children which up 21 YO for living more than 6 months in Belgium? I am Indonesian and my husband Nederlander .We are in the process of registering in the gemeente huis and we already have a house rent in Antwerpen .If somebody knows about this please share it with us here...Thank you

:( Too bad, I'd have loved to have my mom over for 6 months or so. I think Schengen visa is the possibility for her now.

Thanks all for the replies.

@Aneesh. Im still not convinced that we can't still bring non-eu parents to live here. I was told it became a lot harder with stricter requirements but its still not impossible.

solexhonda :

Thanks all for the replies.

@Aneesh. Im still not convinced that we can't still bring non-eu parents to live here. I was told it became a lot harder with stricter requirements but its still not impossible.

best of luck. :)

This is possible. Look for article 40 bis in belgium embassy's website.

Kateekatkat :

This is possible. Look for article 40 bis in belgium embassy's website.

Do you have a link to the page you are speaking about ?

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Appl … 40bis.aspx

All they have to do is to prove that their parents are dependent on them.

The clause mentioning the dependents (other than own spouse) must be younger than 21 years to be eligible for family re-union ?

>As a general rule, a citizen of the European Union/the European Economic Area (EEA) who has the right to stay for more than 3 months in Belgium may be accompanied or joined there by their descendants and the descendants of their spouse or their partner, aged under 21 years for whom they are responsible, provided that they, their spouse or their partner has custody of them and, in the case of shared custody, on condition that the other person with custody has given their agreement.

As you pointed out, there is a link for ascendants.

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Appl … 40bis.aspx

I have no idea about the success rate of this procedure., Would be nice to hear if anyone applied and what was the result.

I might have sent you the incorrect link. My apologies *** Here's the link

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Appl … 0bis.aspx0

I will send it on your inbox as well.

Moderated by Priscilla 10 months ago
Reason : post modified - please avoid upsetting others

Sorry, I was just trying to share what I knew so far, and my observation was based on the link for dependants.  I corrected the response based on the ascendants link I got later from you. ***

Thanks.

Hi everybody,

Just to remind you that we are all on a friendly platform to communicate and to share information.

Lets avoid comments that might upset other people please.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thanks

Expatriate health insurance in Belgium

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Belgium

Moving to Belgium

Find tips from professionals about moving to Belgium

Travel insurance in Belgium

Enjoy stress-free travel to Belgium

Flights to Belgium

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Belgium