Vietnam: merge Saigon and HCMC

Hi !

For people in Vietnam, when it comes to choose your city, you can find both Saigon and HCMC (Ho-Chi-Minh City) in the city list. But both are the same city !!

Because of that, the forum is split in two, some people read / write to Saigon, other (the most part) read / write to HCMC, other keep an eye on both. Other didn't even notice that there are two names for one city, so they only access half of what's available in their city, because at some point they randomly choose "HCMC" (the lucky ones, they get a lively forum) or "Saigon" (too bad, there's not much happening there).

In my opinion, it's a serious problem, it makes things confusing and complicated for no reason.

I think the best would be to merge that into one city. HCMC is the common name to refer to the city on the net, as far as I know.

I hope to hear from you soon, because this issue really spoils a little bit the Expat.com experience for expats in Vietnam.

Best regards and thx for the website, it's really useful

Arnaud

Hi guys

I joined expat last month, admittedly primarily to find foreign tenants with which to share my house in Vietnam.

After a few confused fruitless searches for my own listing, I've just realised that the "Saigon" listing space is completely independent to the "Ho Chi Minh City" space.

That's a little bit crazy because they refer to exactly the same place, Saigon being the colonial name for the city which hasn't been used in any official capacity since it was replaced after reunification nearly 40 years ago.

Please could you urgently consider merging the two inexplicably separate listing pages as both names are widely used by foreigners and needless to say it would be of benefit to everyone locally who uses the site.

Thanks for your consideration

I have asked admin to take a look at this.

Hello everyone,

Thank you, we have noted your suggestion.

Here is a thread on the forum which may interest you : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=551529

All the best
Bhavna

Hi !

Yep, I read that topic already. But it doesn't really make sense. Ask everyone here, Saigon = HCMC. Maybe you can distinguish them in a historical or philosophical conversation, but in the daily usage, both words refer to the same city, as far as I know.

This is totally education for me! Something I may have never learnt had I not come across this thread!

Thx!
Z

@Xeeschan

Life is a total education system.... :lol:

This website is full of precious information.
I'm so happy with it.

Hope for Julian and his team to make a decision which everyone, or the most of it, are happy with.

Totally.. I started reading about HCMC and the history behind even the name is so super!

: )

stumpy wrote:

@Xeeschan

Life is a total education system.... :lol:

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR