Do you know any Vietnamese novel translated in English ?

You can see it at secondhand bookstore
Ex: Trần Huy Liệu, District 3,HCM city   :D

Hong Vinh Tran wrote:

Be loved Oxford  :)

As was mentioned earlier by another poster Hong Vinh Tran, here are the links to two novels by  Dương Thụy ...

Beloved Oxford

Paris through closed eyes

Click on the photos to look inside the books.

Finding the dragon lady: The Mystery of Vietnam's Madam Nhu (Monique Brinson Demery). I am not sure that they sell English version in Saigon or not, but that's a really good book.

Open The Window, Eyes Closed
Author: Nguyễn Ngọc Thuần

Open The Window, Eyes Closed
Author: Nguyễn Ngọc Thuần

People interested in this topic might want to look at this NY Times article https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/02/opin … ef=opinion written by Viet Thanh Nguyen, or perhaps more properly Nguyen Thanh Viet.   He is the winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 2016 for his novel The Sympathizer.  The article lists several  books by Vietnamese and Vietnamese-American authors but the author very modestly does not include his own works.  The NY Times has a firewall but you can read 10 article free.

Yep, I just finished reading The Sympathizer and liked it very much. I'm not sure it's available in Vietnam though, I bought it abroad.

A lover of great books must find good bookstores, no?

There is a collection of bilingual books (Vietnamese - English) on Vietnamese culture and history, most of them are co- authored by Hữu Ngọc and Lady Borton, with 21 books published so far.

Some of the titles:

- Betel and Areca (Trầu Cau)
- Vietnamese Legends and Folk Tales (Truyện Cổ Tích Việt Nam)
- Early Modern Vietnamese Painting ̣(Hội Họa Việt Nam Hiện Đại Thuở Ban Đầu)
- Wedding Customs (Tục Lệ Cưới Xin)

The same publisher (Thế Giới) also offer bilingual books (Vietnamese - English) for children.

This is not exactly the same thing. But, my Vietnamese wife, of 46 years in December, wrote a book about growing up in the middle of what was frequently a combat zone in the Mekong Delta. It has good reviews at Amazon.com

For Two Cows I Ain't Half-Bad: the memoir of a young girl in the Vietnam War Kindle Edition
by Bac thi Eaton  (Author), Sam Eaton (Editor)

Or as my wife frequently reminds me, "For Two cows, I Cheated You Really Good."

Nguyen thi Binh's book is absolutely awful. It was her chance to give a correct record of events and she continued to tell the party line of lies. A great shame really.