What to do if someone dies and you are in an another country?

everyday in Thailand and around the world people die
however there is no section that deals with what to do if you are in another country and someone dies
what do people do?
in the business section I would like to see a funeral director service and lawyers probate issues

I live in Thailand and it is a legal and difficult process for those that dont know who to see, what to do and as all things are in Thai they need a translator.

Please add as its an everyday occurrence.

Hello blackjack2010,

Not to minimize your suggestion in any way, but rather to get important information out there should anyone find themselves in this unfortunate situation...

In the event of death (or any emergency for that matter) of a loved one while abroad you should contact the Consulate-General of his/her citizenship in that country, or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or equivalent) at home. They will assist in every way possible.

Note: Except for cases of a death, where the citizen is actually abroad in service of his/her country, the Consulate will not pay for repatriation of human remains, that is something up to the family.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

hello
I have extensive experience in this field.

The Embassy will try to contact the next of kin (NOK) and thats about it. For example the US Embassy has an Affidavit for next of kin (ANOK) and it is a legal nightmare that the average Joe wouldnt understand. PLUS NOK needs to pay money up front for the Embassy to lift a finger.

However in Thailand the NOK would need to contact a funeral service as they may not be able to fly in or cant get time off work, or no money etc. So it is important that they be able to find a service here than can take over for them ie act as power of attorney.

I have lived in Thailand 16 years and Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention and so a power of attorney will not work in another overseas court. You need an Apostille from the Embassy. NOK would not know where to start and the Embassy will direct you to their website. I have tried to fathom the US Embassy website and it is completely confusing.

For example a US citizen downloaded an ANOK and had it notorised in the USA and sent to the US Embassy in Bangkok only to be told it was the OLD form.  It was downloaded from their website and caused many delays and the body was put on ice for 3 weeks and the service was postponed.

I think it is most important that this category be placed within your website.
thank you
regards Kelvin

I think Kevin does have a very solid point here and it should be added as a section on the site. It should also serve as for awareness  for I had never thought about this vital aspect of expat life before.

Z

thank you very much
I will add your logo to our website (number one on Google) as a big thank you
regards kelvin

You are welcome Kevin.
Also, please post an ad in the BUSINESS DIRECTORY section.

I can pass along the request to add the said category of Funeral Services in the meantime.

Good luck
Z

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR