Renting an aparment in CR

Hi. I would like to know if, as a foreigner, you can rent an apartment in Costa Rica, and what are the requirements. I am thinking about moving there as a rentista or pensionista, so I am not looking for a job. I would like to rent an aparment while I get to know the location and request a visa. I would say one year. Is that possible without being a resident?

Yes, you can rent an appartment being a tourist, but you will have to leave the country every 90 days to extend your tourist visa for next 90 days.
As a long term renter you will have to pay a deposit, monthly utilities + rent.

You are not required to be a 'legal' resident to rent a house or apartment.

Be aware that you will be required to exit the country within the time lime that will be written in your passport, and unfortunately if you are traveling on a Colombian passport you may only get 30 days.

Don't sign a lease for accommodation until you have checked it out by yourself.

Once you have submitted your resident application you will receive your comprobante and will not be required to leave when the stamp on your passport expires.  If you are driving on a foreign driver's license you will have to leave every 3 months to reset your driving privileges.  You cannot obtain a Costa Rica driver's license until you have your residency.

Thank you everybody. Well, I am not planning on requesting a resident visa until I get to know more of CR. Do you know how many times can a tourist visa be renewed?

It will depend on the border officials, but you may be able to request  a 'one time extension' at the Embassy.

Yes, it is best to be sure that Costa Rica is for you, and not rush applying for residency.

I would be happy to help advise etc..  so pick my brain email or PM me  I moved here 25 years ago and lived in MANY areas until I found my little paradise
Debbie K

Thank you. Debbie, I think I have read another post you made about the Hills of Heredia. I have not checked options and prices in that area yet. Some people have mentioned Santiago de Puriscal, is this one of those places which is far, far away from modern facilities, like hospitals?

No, Puriscal is 55km SW of San Jose and has it's own small hospital (new).  We live 17km further S.W. from Puriscal.  It takes us about an hour and ten minutes to San Jose

Hi there
I will rush off a little noe and maybe when a bit less hectic  si have 2 tenants now going home for christmas,,One to Canada Brrr and oone to England another Brrrrrr but it is my home  30 years ago.
anyway yes Puriscal is another of those out of the way areas ,,,I wish you would first check out Heredia,,maybe a little noisy in nmid city but lovely town... but  better in the hills Not necessary  pushing my places as they rent very quickly BUT check out our area or tell me more about you how many people ages ? likes and dislikes ? etc,how long needed  etc..style and price range and as I a driving I may come across something for you BUT need to know what you are looking for and WHEN and furn ir unfurnished ,,,moving here ? working if so which area etc

and I will do my best ,,,you can of course also look a my places to compare ,,2 are vacant as of today Dec 15th    Many people move  on 1st of the month or or 15th so they are good times  to look or about a week or 2 before people move
I am   not an agent but like to help  Remember I rarely have time to come to this site so if they allow I will doge my email cos they mat not like it THOUGH I do not knoe why if we are helping each other first I will ask if yu have my addy? on line?
forgive my awful typing usually many   whenI am rushing out to airport like now... no time to edit ,,,
Regards
Deb

Good to know but ask if it has modern machines for Cat scans, MRI's atc as most only do in larger places like heredia dna San Jose Yucky but good doctors of course EXCELLENT serc=vice privately at Hospital Catolica..(does not mean you have to be a Catholic :) but they havd PRIVatE 1st class service in Central Valley and if you qualify for INS insurance they pay 90% of many things hospital stays etc..check then out on line.,Caja I have paid for $25 years now cost about $40 per month BUT due to over crowding a 3 month wait is often the case UNLESS you go to the emmmergency rooms

Thank you everybody. Pebs, we have not made up our mind yet, about anything. I am just gathering  information to know if this is really what I can do. I do not have any dates for moving or anything like that. I think that now I would like to found out more about health care costs and insurance. Thank you!

u are welcome Good Luck

Do yourself a big favor and check out Panama. I recommend looking at Boquete, lots of gringos here, mountains, close to the Pacific. And a bonus: everything is one half the price. Just saying....