Moving into Bangkok - Advice on Residential Area

Friends,

We are moving into Bangkok in couple of months with family. My office would be in Wireless Rd, Lumpini, appreciate any advice on a good residential area.

Preference is for a large 1 or 2 bedroom apartment/condo, furnished/semi-furnished. Won't have car for at least 6-12 months, hence commuting would be a criteria.
Budget in the range of THB 40-50K p.m (max).

Thanks in advance!

Hi sree_dhan,

Welcome on board  :)

Please have a look at the adverts in the proper section of the website here : Housing in Bangkok, you may even drop your own ad so as to get better chances of finding accommodation that suits your needs.

I also recommend you read the Accommodation in Bangkok, you will find useful infos and links to help you out.

All the very best
Bhavna

Here you can find some information about the central areas of Bangkok -senseproperty.com/neighborhoods

I personally recommend ddproperty as well. My wife and I found our home through them after searching through many other sites and not seeing anything appealing. The site allows you to break down your search by price, area (including specific distances from BTS and MRT stations, which would be helpful in your case) and the type of accommodation (detached house, townhouse, apartment, etc.).

Use Google maps to zoom in on the Wireless Road area and see if there are any apartments or condo's within walking distance from your soon to be place of work that are in within your budget.   If you find nothing near work then start looking near any of the BTS stations on the skytrain green line using Google maps.

On Google maps you should have noticed the Phloen Chit BTS station located on skytrain green line which is only 30-40 meters from the start of Wireless Rd.  Check area's within walking distance of any station on BTS green line.

I lived near the On Nut BTS station for years and found the rents cheaper the farther you get from city center.  On Nut BTS station has many condo and apartments in the area.

I would not worry about not having car because much easier to commute on skytrain and not fight traffic everyday in a car.

Straydog wrote:

I lived near the On Nut BTS station for years and found the rents cheaper the farther you get from city center.  On Nut BTS station has many condo and apartments in the area.

It may change within the next couple of years, but this I personally think this is still great advice for the time being. I've lived near On Nut almost my whole time in Thailand, and it has developed immensely in those years. In addition to many more options than previously for condos and apartments, you can still find houses and townhouses within five minutes from the BTS for a good price (whether you're aiming to rent or buy if you have that option).

A lot of new shopping options have opened up as well. A little shopping area with restaurants and now Cheap Charlie's (previously by Nana) is directly across from Big C on Sukhumvit 50, and The Phyll is just a little further down the opposite way. Century Movie Plaza just opened up on the other side of the station, and a new community shopping mall will soon open that connects Sukhumvit 81 to 77. If larger developments like that aren't your thing, a large number of independent and boutique restaurants and shops are starting to pop up all over the area.

Where did you stay at On Nut, Straydog?

JKBKK wrote:

Where did you stay at On Nut, Straydog?

I lived at Baan Saran Nuch located on Soi Sukhumvit 75/1.