Italian car in Malta info needed

Hello all,

My boyfriend is planning to drive from Sicily to Malta next week to bring me few bits and pieces from Ikea and some other stuff, the car he will be driving is fully insured and taxed in Italy, he also have a log book and all, however he is not the owner of the car but his uncle. As is not his car he obviusly got a return ticket booked. Doeas anyone know if he may have any difficoulties entering Malta ?

Thank you all

If he has booked his ticket then there should be no problem as the car details have to be recorded when booking your tickets.

He is required to carry the ferry ticket, driving licence, log book, insurance details and passport when boarding the ferry.

Terry

Thank you Terry,

Yes, he was here before, bringing some stuff for me from Italy with the same car, but right now with Shengen suspended I wasnt sure ....

Ag

Agnese..Schengen is not suspended

Hello Davide,

Erm.... I thought it was in Malta until end of the year , this is what the newspapers were saying after Quinns visit..... Because of this I was thinking maybe on the borders they will be more picky with things like i mention in my first post, even if it wasn't a problem before ... Dunno

Best

Ag

Schengen is currently suspended for entry to Malta.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes, I am aware of it, I am not sure if that may cause any problems in our case..... And have no idea where to ask as in Malta sometimes authorities don't know themselves so not really reliable place to ask. We got the thicket to I hope no hassle there....

Ag

We travel to  a non Schengen country all the time ( UK by car) its just a matter having all the correct paperwork to show.

The main checks are on individuals, so passports and ticket with just occasionally vehicle documents.

Terry

Thank you Terry,

I am optimistic, but just in case :)

Have a lovely day !

Ag

Yes u were right i didnt know it.
I found this article: (November 6th)
"Government confirms suspension of Schengen agreement
The Home Affairs Ministry confirmed this evening that Malta will be suspending participation in the Schengen agreement re-imposing border controls for all passengers.
It said this was being done in view of the Valletta Summit next week and the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting later this month.
The ministry said the controls will be reintroduced between Monday and Friday next week and from November 21 to November 29.
It said this was a normal arrangement which was put in place when similar events were held and which was also followed for the Pope's visit in 2010.
This meant that everyone leaving or entering Malta during this period had to present a valid identification document before leaving Malta and also on arrival.
In the case of Maltese and EU citizens a valid identity card was sufficient. Others required a passport.
Further information can be obtained on 2369 6416 or 2122 2941."

SO: 
1 did they extend it?
2 What does it mean: "In the case of Maltese and EU citizens a valid identity card was sufficient. Others required a passport."?? This is Schengen, with no schengen even a UE would need a passport isn it?

Hi Davide,

yes they extended as a result of Attacks in Paris , if you have Malteese Id this would be sufficient , if you dont hold Maltese Id then passport , basically in any Shengen member country the border checks are only to verify your identity not the imigration status I think .

Cheers

Thanks Agnese, how could I din't think about Paris attack..my gosh!
But only a question: with schengen suspended..can UE citiziens (with no passport just with for.ex italian ID) can go to malta and looking for a job or do they need a Visa like pre-schngen era??

Visa is not required for EU citizen but current and valid ID or passport is required.
They will also check the immigration status of non EU citizens.

Terry

thanks, so the difference is just a stronger checking of documents..
I'm just curious..because before Schengen everyone was asked to have a visa...so we are not like in a real "pre schenger era"

Its just a local suspension not an EU wide suspension.
Aimed at restricting terrorist movement into and out of Malta.
All countries are tightening up border controls either by random checks or temporary tighter border controls.
"Schengen rules allow member countries to erect temporary border controls under extenuating "public policy or national security" circumstances"

Terry

Thank you Terry i really appreciate it