Relocating to australia with husband and kids

Hi.we are thinking of relocating to Australia.any advise on where to start would be greatly appreciated ie location, jobs, schools, social life, visas etc.

Hello.

Try visiting Australia's Immigration website at immi.gov.au  It will have all the information you need to know which type of visa you are eligible to apply for. The Australian government at anytime can change requirements so it is best you reference this website. There should be a phone number or email address that you can use to ask your question.

One piece of advise if it's possible is to apply online. It will be faster and cheaper since you don't have to spend money sending over documents. Only if the immigration officer requests that you send the original document that you will need to. I have applied on my own following the instructions on this website. It's not complicated but just takes time and fees associated getting the documents required.

As for places where to live. It probably will depend where you will get your job. The top cities that most people know are Sydney and Melbourne. However, there  are many other cities such as Perth, Brisbane, Canberra,etc.  It all depends what type of area you want to live in - city life or more country life.  The two online job websites I reference to look for a job posting are seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au  There are probably more but these two seem to be the biggest with job postings.

I have found those websites great.  Thanks for all your help

if you need that advice from a profession contact Life Relocations in Melbourne, ask for Linda she is great and can answer everything you will need to know...

my husband and kids are thinking about relocting as well.  It doesn't matter about jobs cause my husband works rotational in iraq.  What do you guys suggest to live for family of 5 not eh big city life and not to expensive

Hi kpearson,

You mentioned in your post.. phraphrasing.. that a job in Australia is not important since your husband works rotational in Iraq. However, I don't know how you as a family could get a visa to be able to live in Australia if your husband works in Iraq and not Australia?

Is your husband already an Australian citizen? 

Please check out immi.gov.au for more information about the visas that will enable for you and your family to live and possibly work in Australia.

For a US passport holder, he/she is allowed to be able to stay in Australia up to 3 months for possibly up to a year. However, before the 3 months come up from initial entry to Australia, that person must depart Australia and then come back later to start the entry. This can be done up to a year. However, each US passport holder can't work at all. I am not sure if Canada has the same rule. I'm just assuming you are from Canada since you have Vancouver as a location.

Basically what I am trying to say is, you do need to apply and be granted a visa to stay in Australia for a specific time. Otherwise, it will be expensive to leave Australia up to 4x the one year if you are able on the visa that you are currently a citizen of. 

Also, living in Australia is not as cheap as some people might think. I would suggest you do some research the cost of living, cost of schools to put your kids to school,etc. before actually moving there.

Hi there we have moved to melbourne from the uk australia is the place to be!i would advise you to come over and have a look at the different cities first, and then you can decide where you want to live.
good luck
lou

Hi All,

I am an American living in Perth. I can't speak for the rest of Australia, but I can tell you, Perth is a beautiful place to raise a family. We have three children, all born and in America, and moved over here 3 1/2 years ago with two girls in high school and one boy in primary. My two girls have since graduated and my son is going into high school next term. There is FAR less drugs and violence here in the schools than where we came from. Perth is affectionately referred to as a 'big country town' and it's true. The people here are friendly and still help each other out. The schools are good, although there is less focus on the importance of education than there is in America. I think that's still up to the parents to push their kids to excell in school. The cost of living is expensive compared to America, but well worth the trade.  I would highly recommend looking into the northern suburbs of Perth if you are looking for a place to call home. Beautiful weather year round, and friendly, laid back environment.

Regards,

Amy

hello .Ames35.... how can I contact you? we arrive in Perth :D
you have contact facebook ??
see you soon :)

@Tiziana74, just for info, this thread is dated 2011.

Harmonie