Demand for Western Chefs?

Hello,

This is my first post so thank you for reading. I've just completed a contract in the Caribbean and currently considering coming back to SE Asia in early January. I am a well rounded, American executive private chef and consultant with nearly 20 years in the industry. Many of those years have been spent traveling, studying and working around the world so I have an impressive international repertoire and a variety of skills. In 2012  I spent most of the year traveling all over SE Asia so my cooking has a distinct Asian style with some Mexican, Jamaican and American gastropub mixed in.

I didn't get to visit Myanmar last time and I would love a chance to live, work, learn and teach in such an amazing country. My friends that are living there tell me how wonderful it is and I would like to join them if there are opportunities for a Chef such as myself. So I have a few questions:

Could anyone tell me what the demand is for Western Chefs in Myanmar at the moment?

Would Yangon be the only city I could potentially find work or do island resorts higher western chefs?

What are the chances of turning up without having a job lined up and finding work?

What is the average pay for an executive chef?

Is there any demand for high end live-in private chefs?

Would it be possible to start my own mobile street food stand? Like a modified tuk tuk "food truck"? Maybe Jamaican Jerk chicken and gourmet tacos.

I prefer small bistros, gastropubs and bar/grills rather than large corporate chains or hotels but will consider all offers. Please have a look at my website and if you would like a copy of my CV or would like to discuss any available positions you might know of please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

John Torsch
Instagram: ***

Moderated by Naomi 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details for security reasons.Please exchange them in private messages.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Best you Google search for the big hotels in Myanmar and contact them for work. Forget setting up your own roadside stall or food truck. Too difficult for a Westerner to jump through the all the hoops to get it set up.