Signing on the dotted line.

Ok, I am ready to start gather documents. One question, where do sign and notarize a document that may not provide a specific location for signature on the document?

Do you just sign in a blank spot at the bottom, and have the notary place their stamp?

Usually we all sign at the bottom (not the very very bottom) of the page, at the foot of the last paragraph.
Do not forget to sign like in your passport (This will be the point of reference for all documents from now), always, in each piece of paper.
If one forgets to sign the same way, at some point, someone may tell you that you need to re do that document since the signature is not register no where else.

Banjpplayer2 wrote:

where do sign and notarize a document that may not provide a specific location for signature on the document?

Do you just sign in a blank spot at the bottom, and have the notary place their stamp?

Point 1:  Asking non-attorneys to tell you how to sign an unnamed document is probably not a reliable way to start.

Point 2:  Since we haven't seen the document and it provides no location for a signature, how would we know whether it even needs your signature?

Point 3:  If a notary is involved, that's a professional.  Ask him or her for a more reliable answer than (serial) Expat posters.

Point 4:  An even more reliable answer could be provided by an immigration attorney in Ecuador who handles such paperwork all the time.

I am listing two attorneys I personally know and have consulted in Quito...

Oscar Valenzuela-Morales... [email protected]

Sebastian Cordero... [email protected]

cccmedia in Quito

MahindraDog wrote:

Usually we all sign at the bottom (not the very very bottom) of the page, at the foot of the last paragraph.
Do not forget to sign like in your passport....If one forgets to sign the same way, at some point, someone may tell you that you need to redo that document...

I agree with The Dog that if you sign something, it should agree with the passport signature.. and that's regardless of the typed passport name.

Some document(s) need to be apostilled, meaning authenticated for international use.  This is different from routine notarization, and typically only the agency that issued a specific document should provide the apostille.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you

As stated uniformity is very important with your signature. When you get your cedula, you need to sign exactly as your main document (Passport) is. If you use a different form of your signature it WILL cause issues.

In the U.S. I signed documents in various ways, for the most part nobody noticed or seemed to care. However, I once signed for a credit card purchase here, which was NOT as my cedula and I was asked to sign again as per the cedula.

It may seem like a small thing and something you would not expect in EC, but it is something they are funny about.

As with any legal document, if there is any question query the source of the document or if it was self made and requires validation query the organization who requested it. You can also simply ask a notary if the document needs to be formatted in a certain way to facilitate his stamp etc.

Again it may seem like a small thing, but once you start the paperwork drill everything needs to be exactly as they want it. Otherwise you may find yourself spending more money and time to correct a seemingly small issue. Also things here are subject to change at any time and depending on who you are speaking to at the moment. Once you have established the directions as per the web site for instance, verify it by contacting the Consulate or whomever needed, just to be sure. Once it is signed stamped apostilled etc. there is no changing it. You will need to start over.

We followed the web site verbatim, and even still when we checked with the Consulate or other offices  we found small things that we needed. It is very similar to dealing with the DMV, if your papers are not in order you can almost guarantee they will not cut you a break. Same goes here, just more papers involved. It can be done without an attorney/facilitator, so long as you as you have all your ducks in a row.

Because things here are so fluid, what worked five minutes ago may not now. Always go to the source for information, it will safe a great deal of time, money and aggravation.

Good luck

Because things here are so fluid, what worked five minutes ago may not now...

Do take to heart GMC's advice on signing your papers either as it is in the passport or on the back of the cedula when you have your residency.  While things can be fluid, the signature is carved in stone.