What is the best neighbourhood I can rent with QR 15,000 in Doha?

Hi all,

My husband and I are from Canada and we will be moving to Doha in a couple of months. We heard that the Pearl is a good area but we want to consider at least 2 other communities before we decide.  We don't have kids so being close to school is not important.  Convenience, quiet and safety are important to us.  Also, is villa better than condo? 

We appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Rayto

Hi Rayto,

I suggest you to read an article which can be helpful to you "Accomodation in Doha".

Regards
Naomi :)

The pearl is very nice but has no alcohol over there unless you have a licence to buy it from QDC. None of the restaurants have a licence so if you like a glass of wine with your dinner then you will be dissapointed . There are nice places in West Bay , a little nearer to the city but away from the traffic . Al Gassar Resort, next to The Saint Regis Hotel is nice with good facilities and has Intercontinenral Hotel next door for entertainment . A little further up the road is Grand Hyatt villas, near to Laguna Mall , also very nice. Hope this helps your search .

Thanks so much.  It sounds like only hotels serve alcohol? How do I get a licence to buy alcohol from QDC? Can I buy pork there? 

Cheers,

Rayto

Once you have a resident permit you can get a license for QDC which allows you to have alcohol for your home and yes you can buy pork there . Most hotels sell alcohol (apart from The Pearl) which is not a bad price in Happy Hours . Good luck with your move 👍

Hi,

I am a Brit (Welshman actually)

I live at the Pearl, which is very nice indeed.  I think that your location to live may depend upon your workplace to some extent.  It is only about 8 mile to my work but it takes 45 minutes!

I have colleagues that live in West Bay (The Manhattan Skyline you will have seen on Google no doubt)  and others that live nearer the airport end in compounds.

My own opinion. which is not shared by all, is this...

The Pearl is luxurious, but expensive. A one bedroom apartment is about 12k and a two bedroom apartment is about 17k, furnished.  The towers have gyms and pools and saunas, etc.  The Pearl is a nice environment to walk around, but you can't get a beer or glass of wine there - a big problem for someone from Wales.  Overall I love it there though.

West Bay is comparable in price or slightly cheaper, depending on the quality of the accommodation you go for which is more varied.  It has the advantage of being walking distance from malls and hotels (which are where the bars are!).  You don't get the peaceful vibe, but if you are into city life and bustle then it is more suitable than the Pearl. They are a 10-15 minute car ride apart.

South of the city (West Bay) there are lots of compounds, which are nice when you are on them but the surroundings may be a bit run down and featureless.  They are a bit cheaper though, and you can get a nice place for around 7-8k.  They have pools and tennis courts, etc. - but are not for me as they seem a bit barrack like for me (but I am a country bumpkin not a city boy)  I have colleagues that are very happy there though and are saving more money - none of us are here for the culture!

Wherever you go it is likely that you will have to sign up for a year, giving twelve post dated cheques.  I suggest that you get your employer puts you up in a hotel for two weeks, which will give you time to look around and make a choice.

Good luck!

James

Thanks James.  I really appreciate your comments.  It sounds like I have to increase the budget in order to rent something nice.  I hope I can keep it under 18K. 

I have a few more questions...

My office will be in the World Trade Centre Building by the Corniche. Do you know the driving time from work to each development (the Pearl and West Bay) in no traffic and rush hour.  Many developments have one road in and one road out which I hear can be very choked up at prime time.

I really like contemporary floor plans, designs and amenities and I can't see myself living in places that are too dated.  Is the Pearl the newest condo development in the city? If so, are certain towers better than others? Which towers are more desirable? Is West Bay quite modern as well?

Thanks in advance,

Rayto