Interested in a legal Kafala (fostering/adaption of Moroccan orphans)

Hello everyone,
I and my husband are interested in learning more about entering into a Kafala in Morocco.  My husband is Moroccan and I am American. We, and my mother, are living in Marrakech where my husband is working in the tourist industry. My husband and i (and my mother) would enjoy to offer our loving home to a child, but God has not blessed us with our own. Over the last 5 years  I have noticed that there are many orphans in Marrakech. I have been told there are obsticles for internationals and people in mixed marriages getting aproved for Kafala. Can someone please share their experiences with me?....advise about the process? Who we need to speak with?.....

Any information would be appreciated.

Hi there,

If you are on facebook, there is a group dedicated to kafala.  Some members are currently going through the process or have already done it.  Let me know if you're interested in this information and I'll share the link if it's okay with the moderators.

Hello,
First it is an Interesting subject,
As I know about Kafala, as your husband is Morocain, I think is muslim too, he will have no problem at all to, personnaly I knew a couple they adapt orphanns, the woman is  from Europe and the man is Morocain, ( for no muslim is it illegal )
To get more informations try to have contact with the administration, it will be more easy for you
Best regards

Thank you for you information.  You are very encouraging about kafala in mixed marriages. I understand all about the Muslim restrictions. That is an acceptable safegaurd for the children.  I think there are other qualifications we need to address as well. If you know what part of the administration we need to get in contact with that would be a great help. I am at a loss as to where to begin.  I am not good with French or Arabic. I don't want to go just drop into an orphanage and fall in love with a child just to have someone tell me "No!....he can't ever be yours because....."

Hi There,
I was glancing through the questions and saw your photo.  I was volunteering at an orphanage till recently, so I have spoken with some adoptive parents going through the process. You need an attorney to represent you and it can be a daunting process.  You would not be allowed to visit an orphanage and choose the child you would like to adopt.  Rather, once the process is begun and you have completed some paperwork, you would be presented with several children's profiles that fit, more or less what you're requesting. Not speaking French means your husband will need to be present for all the interviews and formalities, unless you find an attorney and adoption agency where they speak English.  Just be prepared for lots of paperwork and investigations on your life, it's not for the weak-of-heart, but it can be accomplished.
I would start with the attorney and he/she will explain everything to you.
Good luck and take care,
Colleen