Freelance in Malta

Hello everyone,

i'm looking for informations on the freelance status in Malta, and this especially for the residency card as an UE citizen ? If anyone also know a little bit about the production film industry in Malta, I will be more than happy to have some impressions/informations on it.

It's just a project but I would like to move on the island in 2016. I plan several trips during the next year to see the possibility of this project.

Any feedback would be more than appreciated !

Thanks,

Iman

ImanB wrote:

Hello everyone,

i'm looking for informations on the freelance status in Malta, and this especially for the residency card as an UE citizen ? If anyone also know a little bit about the production film industry in Malta, I will be more than happy to have some impressions/informations on it.

It's just a project but I would like to move on the island in 2016. I plan several trips during the next year to see the possibility of this project.

Any feedback would be more than appreciated !

Thanks,

Iman

Basically your eResidence application will be as in the 'Sticky' posted by 'Redmik' under the employed/self employed category - Form A.
This link takes you straight there -- https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

I am sure there will be members on here who will know about the film industry here which does seem quite buoyant at the moment.

Ray

Hey Ray,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I saw this very helpful post but as a non-Maltese and a freelancer, I didn't found how this could work.

I'm just being very excited about Malta that's why I'm impatient to know everything. But I'm coming on January for a couple of weeks and i'm sure I will find all the informations there directly.

Thanks again!

Iman

Hi Iman,

basically 'freelance ' work is not allowed and accepted for non - EU citizens in Malta as a reason to be granted residency.

You will need to apply for a work permit and have an employer sign your application or even apply for your work permit.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Iman,

basically 'freelance ' work is not allowed and accepted for non - EU citizens in Malta as a reason to be granted residency.

You will need to apply for a work permit and have an employer sign your application or even apply for your work permit.

Cheers
Ricky

As I understand it, Iman is an EU citizen (French) and therefore entitled to work here in Malta. 'Freelance' is simply another term for 'Self Employed' and as such a work permit is not required. ( I think the original post said UE when the member meant EU)

Ray

If so then of course there is no problem with working ' freelance' -)))

Ricky

Ray you right, my question was about EU citizen (UE in French, oops!)

I realize my first question wasn't really clear. Freelance is between being an independent and employed and countries deal with this status in different ways.

For instance, in France freelancers are registered at the state employment agency. In Morocco, you open like a "small business". Smaller than a real one and not the same taxes.

About Malta I was wondering how does it works ? Also, how to apply to the residency ?

This are just boring and particular questions, and I totally get it  that if people are not in this situation, it's complicated to answer.

Anyway, thank you guys for your previous answers, it's really nice of you !

Cheers,

Iman

The requirements on your residency application are still as in the 'Sticky' I mentioned, the only difference is which form you fill in. As a freelance you can choose whether you set up a company and become an employee of that company or you can be self employed, either way it is Form A for Residency. As to which way is best, you then need to consider set up costs and tax implication in which case it would be a good idea to have a chat with an Accountant.
You could, if you already have an income or sufficient capital, apply under self sufficiency - Form J, (amounts are shown in the 'Sticky'} and then worry about how you establish your freelance work later.

Ray

Yeah Ray, you're right. I think I will see that when i'll eventually begin to work, then everything will be more clear.

If I have an answer of this particular case, i will post it here.

Thank you again,

Iman