Tips or suggestions about day-to-day tasks

Hello,
My wife and I live in the US.  We obtained Paraguayan residency, and may retire there.

Soon, we will visit Asuncion again.  Neither of us speak Spanish (she knows a few conversational phrases), and we are a little concerned simply about day-to-day tasks, such as getting a new SIM card, not getting on the wrong bus, etc.

Does anyone know of a group, or any people, who could provide trustworthy, bilingual "buddy" service, to help with working out simple tasks?

Kind Regards,
Dean

Hello Dean,I could'n believe what your asking,I suggest you learn Spanish,Im Dutch and as most of the Dutch people I speak English, French, German,and Dutch,I am learning Spanish at the moment....Show some respect to the Paraguayans and learn their language, culture,art, I think your better of in the States this way and don't spoil this country like the American pensionada's did in Honduras, quatamala , and spoiling now Panama,Colombia, because they searching CHEAP, Good luck

Arnold has a point about language, although frontally going after Dean for the alleged attitudes of Expat pensioners in the mentioned countries was over the line.  Arnold saying he couldn't believe what Dean was asking:  also over the top.

Absolutely, Dean, learn Spanish and plenty of it.

As for learning art, culture and history .. not necessary.  No locals in Spanish-speaking South America expect a Gringo to know the top painters or the quirks of cultural stuff.  But if you can hold a conversation in Spanish and can ask for what you want, they'll be impressed and especially open to assist you. 

You can pick up a few important points about when the national holidays are after you arrive in Paraguay.  That will save you from going shopping downtown only to discover that the stores are all closed due to the founding of the country centuries ago or the birthday of an ancient conquistador.

You can start with the free "español" threads on the expat.com Ecuador forum if you like.

How some pensionados may have acted in Guatemala or Panama has nothing to do with you, Dean.

cccmedia

Dean,

Chill out and don't let the language barrier, or the arrogant expats,  intimidate you.  Lots of folks like to make it seem like a huge barrier, it's not for an occassional visitor or tourist.  If you work on some common tourist phrases and vocabulary, normally listed in many travel guides for Spanish speaking countries, you will get along OK.  Asuncion has never been as "english friendly" as other Latin American countries that host gringo tourists (basically because there are so few tourists from gringo land here), but it has been getting more so over the last few years.   This is because more and more Paraguayan's learn english in school, at local language institutes and by having family connections in english speaking countries.  Add that to the inate friendliness down here and you'll be surprised how far you can go with minimal espanol.

As for cultureal and local info, I'd strongly suggest a Paraguay guide book written by an American/Paraguayn gal who grew up in Paraguay.  It's was just published last year (well 2 years ago as it was 2014 I believe), called "Other Places Travel Guide Paraguay" by Romy Nalalia Goldberg.  Amazon.com has it.   It's the definitive guidebook for the country.  Wish it was around 16 years ago when I started coming here to visit.  And I'm married to a Paraguayan (and now live here full time).

Also check out the Facebook site "Expats in Paraguay".  Hundreds of expat members along with locals, in english and filled with daily posts, advice and local notices.  There's expat get togethers and meetings posted on that site (all in Asuncion) as well as special events and advertisements for local businesses who cater to expats.   

So relax and enjoy the trip back to the land of tranquilloooo.

Brad

Thanks,For the tip,

I will get me the book