Please help new expat !

Hello dear expats,...I am Indian, 44, Food Processing professional, looking ahead for moving to Accra, Ghana very soon on bachelor status. As i am going to join a company owned by Ghanaian national -  i am not expecting any Indians there - i don't know how i can adjust myself there ! Can anyone guide me on working conditions and tips on "how to get along at workplace in such situation?", can anyone share their experiences and advises for new comer to settle down in city quickly - in general.  Also would like to connect with friends who are working in the same field (Food processing - production/QC) - Is there anyone who can extend help on NPD, OEE calculations, RCA, Selection/Analysis/Presentation on KPIs etc....Thanks a lot. :)

I can't give specific advice but just general advice gleaned from many years working overseas. Go with an open mind, be prepared to watch, listen and learn. Don't constantly compare your new work situation with your old one thinking that things were better there. Remember that you only have the opportunity because your skills are perceived to be able to improve the situation in the new organisation but do it with humility and treat all your new colleagues with respect.

Hi, I understand that there is a LARGE Indian expat community in Ghana. We too are hoping to relocate there in the New Year and so have done quite a bit of research, good luck!

Hi Ragaish
I have been to Ghana and Togo, last summer,  Accra is nice, developed, organised and safe place to live. People are good and easy for expats to move, live, work and enjoy life.
I bet you will enjoy and benefit.
Apart from your job it is good for you to make online friends prior to your visit.

Good luck and feel free to ask any related question.

Jawed

thanks.

Thanks Jawed, by-the-way what kind of business you are into and how long you have been there in Accra ?.......As such i have done some research, of course thro' google/various blogs etc...- still  I would like to know few things...specifically (1) present cost of living per head on food+entertainment in GHS to lead "not-so-high" life style - can u quote recent prices in cedis for few day-to-day required items/vegetables/restaurant food (2) Is fresh cow/buffalo milk available in the morning as door step delivery ?! (3) Which local food / drink you advice should not be missed while in Ghana(4) Being a foreigner Is it ok to move freely outside as in our native place ? (4) what kind of safety measures to be taken as i heard that many will fall with malaria even though they are vaccinated with yellow fever - which medicine can i keep with me / take which will be effective (5) What about method of money remittance ? (5) It is learnt that Ghanaians are in general very nice people to expats - but what  cultural/social precautions to be taken as an expat while dealing with them (6) Any local specific words with meaning which make them happy (7) Do you have any friends working in food processing sector ?

Hope you throw light on these queries...

Regards,

thanks

felt really very sad ....too many "views" but no replies !.....Let me reply my own queries for benefit of those indian friends who are  intending to come and have similar feeling and questions....(1)  if u depend on supermarkets and excellent restaurants even 2000 cedis may not be enough but if u are  contended with local market purchasing and local food u can survive very well within 1000 cedis...(2) NO, that sort of culture is not prevailing here...you can get milk in tetra packs (3) There are plenty of foods if u r non-veg, or else there is bofloat, spring rolls, dakoa to name a few for veg....For local non-alcoholic drinks - difficult to get unless you go village side early morning (4) It is very ok to move outside freely even in night hours - they are very nice and kind people, very helpful, very cooperative - no  doubt about that. Yes, mosquitoes and malaria is of concern...if your immunity is low...better to take preventive measures accordingly  (5) Some companies directly depositing into your india a/c whereas for some you have to open bank a/c here and then you can transfer it...its not that difficult - All etiquettes and hindu cultural habits helps you while dealing with Ghanians...(use of right hand for greeting and giving the things, not making sound while eating, giving respect to elders, remove your foot wears outside the house etc... (6) midase=thank you ! ( you have to learn on your own) (7) ?