Is it easy for Engineers to immigrate to Australia

Hi dears,
I'm an Egyptian electrical engineer working in steel industry automation.I want to immigrate to Australia.
I want to know more about the engineers who immigrated to Australia.is it easy to get a job there? is it secure to leave my work here in Egypt and move to Australia to look for a job ?
I want to listen to your stories about your immigration and much of its conditions ! ,, please give me your advice

M.Abdelkader wrote:

Hi dears,
I'm an Egyptian electrical engineer working in steel industry automation.I want to immigrate to Australia.
I want to know more about the engineers who immigrated to Australia.is it easy to get a job there? is it secure to leave my work here in Egypt and move to Australia to look for a job ?
I want to listen to your stories about your immigration and much of its conditions ! ,, please give me your advice

There is very little security for anyone in moving countries and getting a new job when you are not local.
It's an adventure, a challenge, full of uncertainties and tensions.

Unemployment is rising slowly in various industries, and employers can and choose their workers.  Therefore you must be better than the rest, and generally have local knowledge of working.

My husband is an industrial engineer from the USA. We thought that it would be very easy to get work in his field, but was surprised at the difficulty. Many government engineering jobs require a security clearance even for non-secret jobs, which would mean that he needed to be an Australian citizen. It takes 5 years before you can apply for Australian citizenship. It took him 6 months to get a part time, casual job with no benefits paying 1/2 of what he was getting in the USA.

Fortunately, I was able to get a job that paid 40% more than in the USA, so it balanced out.

My husband loved his new schedule, and we were able to live quite a nice lifestyle. Even though there was a delay in getting work, it was worth the move for us.

Some advice: be sure to start reading the local newspapers for the area that you are interested in. You will learn quite a bit about the Australian culture that way. Also, build relationships with other Egyptian expats living in Australia. They can often help you get a job when you arrive. People still focus on hiring people that they know rather than the best-qualified people.

Right now, many of the companies relying on mining and natural resources are in a recession because the demand is tied to the Chinese drive for natural resources. When their demand dips, the Australian dollar also dips, because many of the mines are now owned by Chinese corporations.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and your family.

Monique

Hello,
Interesting topics :-)
I'm Guillaume from Belgium. I'll move to Oz (Gold Coast) in Sept 2016. Do you have some tips to find a work in the construction area there. I'm structural engineer but I agree to work as draftman, site engineer.. Anything related to construction.
Thanks for answering
Guillaume

Dear Guilliome,
Many areas of Australia are going through a construction boom. When we were living in Adelaide, SA, it seemed like your job was in the highest demand. Why not start by visiting Seek.com.au and typing in the keywords construction engineer. Then, apply for positions, especially the ones through search services.

After you have applied for a few and wait a couple of weeks, you can call the search firm and speak with the person who put the ad on the site and ask what additional information they need. Ask if it would help to live in Australia in order to get a job there and how long it normally takes to land a job with your qualifications.

It took my husband 6 months to get a job because he worked in a field that required Australian Citizenship and it took that long to find a company that would waive the requirement.

Good luck.
Kind regards,
Monique