Cost of living - Frankfurt

Hello All,

I'm from India and I'm new to this blog. This is my first post.

I may be getting an offer from a software company in Frankfurt. I have been offered a salary of Euro 40, 800 - Euro 47, 400. The net salary range (after tax and social security contribution) would be Euro 2.386,83 to Euro 2.695,16.

I'm married, no kids yet. I will bring my wife to Germany after few months; most likely in 2 - 3 months if possible. I'm looking for a standard living.

Benefits the company offers:
----------------------------
1. Relocation support
2. Plane tickets for you and your family
3. A fully furnished company flat for your first 3 months in Germany. (Please note that the company flat is subject to a tax amount deducted from your salary)1
4. Work Permits/Visa for employee and family
5. Home Search and setup
6. Registration, bank account, private insurance, health insurance
7. We offer help with obtaining the permits for the family
8. We offer free German classes for partners
9. A job-ticket allowing you to use all public transportation within Frankfurt and to the Airport for free (saves the average commuter 1200 Euros yearly)
10. Free gym membership at Fitness First, the biggest and nicest chain of gyms in Frankfurt (normally costs 70 Euros a month)
11. Free German/English lessons
12. Free beverages in the office

Can someone please suggest whether this is a good deal to accept.

Thank you!

Hi, I don't live in Frankfurt so don't take my word as final but I guess it depends a lot on where you want to Reside, if in Frankfurt main city, then you can expect 800-1200 (depending on your choice for a flat ) House Rent for a 2-3 room flat as Warm Miete as we say here. Electricity usually comes Extra and is about 80-100€ per month.

but as you move away from main city, it gets cheaper. Depends where your company is located and how much time you can spare for travel everyday.

But all in all, I would say it is a very good starting offer. That's a general assumption, being unaware of your knowledge/ Portfolio of course.

I don't know your background, education and work experience, neither the job role, so I cannot judge the salary offered. It is sufficient for two people (above German average). But the benefits you are given are very good!

Thanks Waryah and Beppi for your reply.
Here is some additional information about me to make things clear.

I'm an Engineering graduate (B.Tech Information Technology) from Chennai, India. I have close to 6 years of experience as Software Documentation Professional. My role in this German company will also be the same - Software Documentation Professional.

And regarding the stay, I'm planning to stay close to Gothe University and I prefer a 1 bedroom apartment.

Thanks!

well that's like almost midst of city and in that case you can expect about
950-1300 House Rent
80-100 Electricity
250-350 Food etc. at home 2 person
100 (+-) other Household Requirements
Travel Pass, you get from Company

That's general estimate, but as you will live here, you will learn how to save more out of your Budget.

I would look to negotiate the top end of that range as you will need that sort of money to have a decent life, especially if you want to live in the middle of Frankfurt. You might consider living a bit outside the city. Generally speaking north of Frankfurt is more expensive than south. I live south of Fft and have been living there for 25 years. South of Frankfurt is geographically speaking very advantageous.