Wind Turbine versus Solar Panels

I've seen some posts on this topic, but I was hoping to get some of you expats living in DR to weigh in on the advantages/ disadvantages of wind verses solar energy for home use.

Also, wondering if anyone on North Coast knows of anyone using sargassum as biofuel material?

no intiendo

Lots of us use solar some even to the extent that they are basically off the grid.  We use solar for hot water and are contemplating putting solar for our pool pump as well.

Wind turbines have not caught on here on the north coast but certainly is a viable option.

No one I know of is using  sargassum as biofuel material.

Bob K

There is a new apartment complex built in Cabarete that has put up a fairly large windmill. It wasn't occupied when I was there so I dont know how it worked out for them. I was told that the problem with windmills is the excess power generated has to be put back into the grid somehow.

Solar is much more popular but still limited here. It is a good option.

I don't know anyone using sargassum (don't really know what that is) to make biofuel. We make  Biodiesel  out of waste vegetable oil! 

There is a large facility being built to make biodiesel out of sugarcane waste.

I have been told solar panels on the coast are open to corrosion and consequently dont last long making them a expensive alternative.

Then that is a huge issue on the entire island  Stan.

Perhaps that is why it is not widely used. Any thing made if metal will have the problem. One of the costs if you want to live close to a beach.
Also the windmill i seen was in Cabrera not Cabarete.
Regardless more research is needed on this topic.

They are also very expensive, the payback is long!

Hello Brodies! I live in New England and have both on my property. There are pro's & con's to both. My first question to any complex that is set-up with either is the size of the unit in Kilo-watts. Does it produce 'all' or just supplement?

As far as 'Power Dump' (excess power), both require it. Both will over generate.
I dump as heat, but I'm in NE.

Wind has a greater efficiency  of collecting the available power, but has to be sized, high enough and in a 'great' location.
Solar is much less in efficiency, but is location can be easier to deal with and I find overall, I get more from my panels.

Both require maintiance.
Both require basically the same controllers.
Both require a power storage medium.

I've also found that though my cost to setup were less expensive (at the time) for the wind generator, that's no longer the case. The costs of panels has come down close to 75% of what they were when I first started into this.
Low wind produces nothing, low light still produces something.

Overall, I'm much happier with my panels.
Do hope some of this helps you.

Thanks for your input. Very useful information.

I am very curious what your cost per Kilo-watt is in DR.
Then of course what your cost of panels are per kilo-watt...

And the panels have not come down in price here, they are still very expensive.

Electricity here is banded - the more you use the more you pay. Our marginal rate (kicks in at 700 KWH) is  11.10 RD per and that is on the  public companies. Private suppliers are even more expensive.