Volunteer to help expats in Ho Chi Minh city!

Hi everyone, I'm living in Ho Chi Minh city for nearly 10 years and I have helped a lot of expats in my company in traveling because I like to travel and I have been traveled to many places. So, I decided to join this forum in order to help expats in Ho Chi Minh city if you have some questions in traveling around and outside Ho Chi Minh city. Anybody have any questions regarding to traveling, just let me know. I will provide you valueable advices

Ok then I have a travel question! I want to motorbike to Cần Giờ and then take the motorbike on a ferry to Vũng Tàu. And return. I have read that there is a ferry, but I cannot find a ferry schedule on the internet. Do you know about that? A schedule page in Vietnamese is ok too.  thanx 'Active Advisor' (is that your real name?! )

The ferry is just between Saigon and Vung Tau, I think it has no stop during its way. It had stopped working for a while and just re-stared recently. You can go to the Bach Dang riverside to ask for the time schedule

My real name is Betty. It's true that you cannot take a ferry to Vung Tau from Can Gio. You can only take it at Bach Dang riverside in district 1. And actually it's a Hydrofoil and they have fixed chair, therefore, we cannot take a motorbike with us as a ferry. If you would like to travel around Vung Tau by motorbike, you can rent once you are there, price is from 70,000 VND to 120,000 VND, depends on weekdays/weekends/holidays and the quality of the motorbike that you rent.

Another option if you do not want to travel by Hydrofoil, you can go by bus. There are several bus service such as Phuong Trang, Mai Linh, Hoa Mai, Thien Phu.

Hope it helps,
Betty

Thx Betty and Kixxxx
I know about the weird Russian hydrofoils that go down the river (and catch fire), I used them twice in 2013. Convenient, you can make reservations online with a credit card. The reason they were out of service last year was for safety reasons, I will avoid them until they get modern boats:

tuoitrenews.vn/business/24888/ho-chi-minh-cityvung-tau-hydrofoils-resume-service-with-50-discount

I like Vũng Tàu a lot and have gone by bus too from Phạm Ngũ Lão, and rented motorbikes from a lady at the bus terminal. But I had seen references to a local ferry on a couple of websites, so that was why I was asking!
Doesn't this look like fun?!

http://i65.tinypic.com/2mg1q4y.jpg

mapa.nocowanie.pl/viet_nam/vung_tau/zdjecia/73188036/
www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=66&ptab= … sort=etype

I hope you get my message before 3:00 pm, Gobot .

I did not hear any one use the service that you just posted, however, the hydrofoils service is now more modern and reliable, you can definitely use it,

Cheers,
Betty

There is a ferry service at the end of Đặng Văn Kiều street, its been a long time since I was there, so not sure where they were heading.The same type of boats as per your picture were departing from there.

I heard that they closed that business. Do you have their contact or address?

I posted the address already.

colinoscapee wrote:

There is a ferry service at the end of Đặng Văn Kiều street, its been a long time since I was there, so not sure where they were heading.The same type of boats as per your picture were departing from there.

Ah, a lead! I will have to go down there and check it out. I want to go on one of those boats, I don't care where it goes. I found that street on google maps. At the end of the street is Can Thanh Harbor. Smallest "harbor" I have ever seen, I could throw a rock across it with my left hand. At high tide. I suspect there is not much navigation at low tide. I can't go for awhile but I will report back. thx!

https://goo.gl/fk2lh4
If Expat.com hides the link, just paste this google short url in your browser: goo.gl/fk2lh4

Hi Gobot,

I heard that there is the boat ( like fishing boat ) moving from Can Gio to Vung Tau. It had been showed in one Traveling program on TV few years ago. But I recommend that you should not go this way because:
1. It is the long way from HCMC to Can Gio (tens of km). The way is very quite and seem to be not so much people along the way. It would be dangerous for you if you get any problem with your bike  during the way.
2. The boat is fishing boat, so you should think about the safety on the sea from CG to VT.

The best is to take the bus from HCM to VT, then you can rent a bike in Vung Tau to go around.

Wish you have a good time in Vung Tau

Thanh.

I appreciate your concerns, thanhnx73. But I have already been to Vung Tau via creepy Russian hydrofoils, bus, and private van. Now I am ready for a new adventure. If the seas were rough, I would not take any boat because I get seasick.  Regarding your statement

thanhnx73 wrote:

It would be dangerous for you if you get any problem with your bike  during the way.

... what dangers do you worry about?

I am pretty sure I would not starve; there is not much traffic on that road (nice!) but I believe that someone would help me. I can scare away snakes, and I doubt there are tigers down there. So is it people who are dangerous? Do you mean there are bandits who will rob me and leave me in a ditch like in Mexico?

I haven't read about that sort of incident. I am curious what you think!

Do you have a Skype account or email? I want to send you some information, it includes some images about the travel itinerary.

Hi Gobot,

You are right at the small harbor at CAN THANH ward, CAN GIO district. This is the place for you to get the boat to Vung Tau. the time is 0600 and 1000 before. I am not sure what time is now or still the same.

For the risk to travel by bike from HCM to CAN GIO, as you knew, the way is very quite and not much traffic as well as less home along the street, you should make sure your bike is in the good condition to avoid walking for long to find the help. I have not heard any robber or violence in this way, but make sure you travel in day time.

Enjoy your trip. I will do the same trip with you in one day soon.

Cheer

Hi everyone ,
I'm Richard. Expats from Malaysia.  I would like to invite everyone to our monthly gathering.  We have had this gathering over a year. Each gathering would have about 30-40 attendees.  It's free (optional to buy a drink. )We do not have personal gain but just to have a good support team to help everyone and anyone in need of some assistance. We do plan activities from simple dinner , bbq,movies to charity events. Details are as below:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=548500
See you
Richard