A tricky situation

Hello there. My brother is currently teaching abroad in Romania. He is teaching at an elite private school in Bucharest. So far, he has had a great time. He said he really likes his coworkers, and he thinks his students are smart and passionate. He has even said he could see living in Romania long term (we are from the UK).

Unfortunately, an issue has come up at school that has made him uncomfortable. It started when some of his students began to put minimal effort into assignments. When he was teaching in the UK, he dealt with students like this by giving them lower marks that fairly reflected the limited work they did. When he tried doing this at the school in Romania, however, he was told by his supervisors that he needed to stop. The supervisors explained that some of these students had extremely powerful parents (nationally known political figures, important businessmen), and the school had an arrangement with these parents that the students would get good marks no matter what.

My brother values his integrity, and so his first impulse was to ignore his supervisors and continue giving his students the marks that they earned, while also helping any interested students to improve their marks. I agree with this response in theory, but I am worried about the repercussions this could have. He thinks he may be sacked, but I worry a little bit that something worse could happen (like him being falsely accused of a crime). I've spent most of my life in the UK, and I've never been to Romania, so maybe my fears are ridiculous (in fact, I assume they are). I certainly apologize if they offend anyone.

I really don't know much about Romania. For that reason, I'd be very grateful if some Romanians and/or expats who have lived in Romania could share their thoughts about my brothers situation. Cheers!

Hi there!
i am romanian and i will answer you regarding youre brother situation.
I dont think that something bad can happen with him if he will not listen to his supervisor advice.But he had to choose betwen keeping his job and keeping  his concious clean or moving back to UK.Because money can buy everything in Romania people with money are very influent here.But dont make so worse scenario about it he is safe.
Romania is a safe country and is not the case to think that so bad acusation like crime can be put on a person back just for some bad markes gived to a spoiled rich kid from school!
Hope this helped you,take care and come to visit our beautifull country!my partner is a brit and maybe we can meet with youre brother some day for a beer!Let me know !
Cristina

I can second what Cristina says. Nothing sinister will happen to him. At worst, he will be asked to leave or his contract won't be renewed (depending on the type of work contract he has). It's actually pretty difficult to fire someone in Romania. Most of the time when someone tells you they were fired, they were in fact 'encouraged to resign' or they'd come to the end of their contract period and not rehired. If he refuses to leave when pressurized, they management could start to get a bit verbally nasty, but I've never heard of anything worse than that happening.

Sorry to hear ... that your view of Romania is that something bad might happen to your brother for a professional decision. (In fact, the "corrupt class," whoever they are, have far more important things to worry about these days than an expat doing a good job in their child's school.)   I am glad to hear two previous comments that nay, nothing bad will happen to a professional responding to a not-so-professional circumstance.

Sounds like simple math: your brother needs to decide if he wants to say at a (very well-paying) private school, where this kind of influence happens, or whether his integrity will send him to a professionally more rewarding (but less-paying) situation.  But things are changing in Bucharest; he might find both.  Tell him to keep both eyes open ;)

Opinharvest, my advice to your brother is to play by the rules of the school management. Possibly lower his expectations, build a more friendly and understanding relationship with the students, too. Also, my opinion is that assignments are not a good way of making kids learn something, a better idea may be to have them solve the assignments at school towards the end of the lesson. Maybe the kids want to have more free time at home.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you for your responses, and I'll be sure to let my brother know.

He needs to find another school to work at. I'm an English teacher myself and you have to talk to the people in charge about what you will do when you are working. I have a great relationship with my boss and school. They let me do what I need to do which teach the kids English. The last school I worked at was like your brother where my boss wanted me to kiss the parents butt. If they were bad you didn't tell the parents this. I have my integrity as well so I quit and found another job. There are plenty of schools he can get a job with but he has to quit as soon as possible!

Hi, I am British living in România.
Corruption is rife at all levels here, especially at senior political level. This is changing with the new president and recent change of government, but I don't expect miracles.
My personal opinion is that your brother is unlikely to be in physical danger. It is more likely he may lose his job and have difficulty finding another.
Personal integrity is a low-rated luxury in România, but I never heard of somebody being railroaded as you fear. The authorities would have a lot to explain to Europe and the UK, and they do not want that kind of publicity.
If he wants the job, he might have to follow their rules. If he wants to save his reputation or honour - frankly, just now, he's in the wrong country.