Best ways to learn Chinese?

Does anyone have any suggestions of the best ways to learn Chinese?

I believe the best way to learn any language is to immerse oneself totally into the language environment. Quite some expats I got to know in China stick to their own circles and to their own languages too. By doing so they miss a good chance of learning the language :-(

Fine.
How do you manage to get immersed?
What concrette steps, places, circles for example? Especially when you're a total beginner.

Thanks for any recommendation you can provide me with.

Hi, I didn't mean to make it sound that harsh. I am sorry :-(

I find it quite helpful to begin with your colleagues. Chinese peolpe are quite cautious at the first sight, but actually quite friendly at heart :-) Through your colleagues you might have a good chance to meet some other people, their friends/acquaintances for example.

As far as the language is concerned, I would recommend a personal tutor. You could do it in exchange of some English/French lessons. Lots of people want to learn foreign languages in a right way, university students for example.

Again I'm sorry for making it sound that harsh. Hope I could help somehow through your days in Shanghai. Enjoy.

If you want to speak Chinese, I recommend doing it online. Private tutors seemed nice at first, but my motivation to continually meet and study on their schedule waned after a couple of weeks. I tried online courses from Surf Chinese and study on my own schedule from home now. Learning online has allowed me to continue studying with less of the stress and strain of commuting to meet up. I suggest you try a few different ways and then choose the best way that suits you. Good luck to you and your family!

Thanks a lot for this meaningful recommendation. Best.

yep..i need some suggestions too..:)

The best thing is to sit down for an hour a night and learn a bit of vocabulary, then get out there and practise!! Sure, in the beginning people might not understand what you are trying to say, and don't expect them to try to fill in the gaps!! But keep at it! A lot of foreigners get caught up in the tones (or their lack of ability to produce them perfectly). The bottom line is that we all need to eat or ask for directions, or buy that Christmas present, and that takes precedence over things like tones! Learn the vocab and get out there and practise! You can always describe what you are trying to say, or even draw a picture at first, and if you have a good ear then you can adjust your pronunciation by repeating things that are said by Chinese native speakers until you've got it. If the truth be told, a lot of Mandarin speakers are not really "native" speakers; their first language is the dialect in their home city. Go to the zoo and listen to how people pronounce the names of the animals for example. Half say the name in one way, and half say it in another way. Choose the one that you feel comfortable with and go with it. The trick is to get over your "discomfort" at trying to speak Chinese, and go for it! Have a bit of fun too! Test their English sometimes! If you're in Shanghai, though, you need to think about the differences between Shanghainese and Mandarin (and the fact that you don't get anywhere with some people if you speak to them in Mandarin, because of general Shanghai snobishness. If you can throw in a few words from the local dailect every now and then, you'll get huge extra mileage:-)
One last thing: are you planning to become totally fluent, marry a Chinese woman and open your own ashram, or do you just want to get by? That might influence how you approach the question as to "the best ways to learn Chinese." Happy travels!

From  what I've seen, disappearing to a live in place in Nanjing or HArbin (both offer it) it by far the best way

i think it is a bit complicated to communicate with chinese...unless you find someone good in english!! right?

The Best way to learn is to PRACTICE.... Grab a simple book for the Basics you need to learn then practice it by speaking! in that way you'll immerse yourself to learn more advance!

GOODLUCK!

Yes, good point of that, just immerse yourself in any language environment.After one year I can speak on English, but the writing is so hard for me.But next way to get the chines lan.

If you want to learn Chinese fast, find a native speaker to assist you. Not only will they teach you the right tones and pronunciation, they will also force you to practice your sketchy language on them.
Learn Chinese in China and you won't just experience a different country – you will experience a different world. China is the cultural treasure house of East Asia: its social riches and 5000 years of tumultuous history place it, without doubt, among the world's greatest study destinations. The Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace and Tiananmen Square, Xian's Terracotta Army: the very names resound with history and legend.
It is flexible to learn Chinese online , effective and fun allowing you to have your classes from the comfort of your home, during your office lunch break, or from your hotel room when you are on a business trip.
The secret to learn Chinese online is to practice and speak it by watching Chinese courses. This can only be achieved by one to one lessons, as opposed to group language class where you hardly have a chance to speak.But when you choose what you watch about the Chinese course ,you should choose Pinyin course firstly.
The Chinese language had no official phonetic system until 1958 when Hanyu Pinyin was adopted by the government of the People's Republic of China. Taken apart, pin means “spell” and yin  means “sound” – it uses Roman letters to represent sounds in Standard Mandarin.
Pinyin in Chinese is used to teach both Chinese and non-Chinese persons alike. Chinese learn it while in elementary schools and foreigners study it while learning Chinese.

Get yourself enroll in a good language school. Try to stay with a host family.

Hi my name is Amit, im from Spain, i just reach shanghai for business one month ago
I need somebody that can teach me in exchange,i can teach spanish,
Do u know somebody??,
Thanks"!

I played this mobile game to help me learning Chinese. It really works ! I am hooked... Not only the sound of Chinese but also the written characters!

I guess you can install to different types of smart phones. Try it.

prettycoolgames.com/chinabubbles.html?np3

Could you please tell the app name in Apple's App Store ?

[moderated: no free ads please]