Wanting to move from NYC to DR

Hi,

I am from NYC, currently working and living here.  However, I am ready to think about retiring.  I have money saved and also have a house in NY that has a nice amount of value that I can cash in later. 

The thing is, I want to stop working at my current job and move to DR, get an apartment that is affordable yet not a wreck (nit used to living with rodents...anymore...  I will take the 3-6-9 or twelve months to see if it is somewhere that I would like to be permanently.  . 

I would like to get advise from anyone who has done this.  I admit, I am used to living a solid middle class lifestyle in the US, but want to give it up for a more simple life.  How much is good per month?  Any guidance or advise would be greatly appreciated. 

As a side note, I met a guy through a guy that lives there and wants an American woman, but I have been thinking of this for almost a year now.  Having a man there would be great, but are there predators to be leery of too?  I met him via his brother who worked at one of the resorts.  I do like him so far, but you know, I'm a NYker so not very trusting.  I'm sure he is broke compared to US standards.

Thanks.

Moving by yourself to check things out is not a bad idea if you like latinos and tropical things...but, moving to be with or whatever with a Dominicano is crazy unless you know all about sankies!!!
My only suggestion is read this forum and DR1.com to get a feel from lots of expats who have experience living here.
Best of luck

I have been considering the move for over a long period now.  My sister in law is from there and currently lives in the US, so there is family there.  My brother is well known in DR but never lived there.

I want to move to change my scenery and live a less hustle and bustle life style.  As to the hombre, I met him via someone, but he has nothing to do with my moving. I only told him of my plan two days ago but I know that there is value to a DR person if they married a US citizen.  I guess I wanted to know if that is prevalent there.  What is a sankie?

Yes you can move here and be successful at it.

Coming and getting involved with a guy who works at a hotel and you have never really met can ONLY lead to disaster, hardship and possible financial ruin for you.  He is a Sankie (male gold digger of the worst kind).  They are a dime a dozen here and pray on gringas.

Bob K

Like any relationship. Give it time. Usually if you give enough to it, time will reveal all.

Thanks Bob for the advice.  I am really more interested in making the move and living a comfortable lifestyle.  However as a human being, I am also interested in a relationship once I get there. This fellow was introduced to me by a guy who I met while there.  His brother, he says. 

Frankly There are a bunch of users in the US and many parts of the world, and unfortunately I've dated a bunch so I am obviously bait.  My question is how do I get both a nice place and a companion in DR without bringing one with me?  Surely DR has men that are good?

Thanks again.

Yes there are good men in the DR. But, & it is a big BUT, you must have patience & take the time to meet many people, make friends & proceed slowly.  Good people just don't pop out of the ground. To avoid hurried mistakes you Must exercise patience, if you can't, bring extra batteries with you.

Oh NO!!! they don't sell batteries there? :o

Great! You'll do well here!  A sense of humor is an imperative asset for dealing with the daily foibles of life here. Looking forward to your posts. We need more laughter every day here.  I like to tweak the noses of some of the more staid among us. Life is a one way trip so, let it be a fun one as well as being a productive one. Again welcome.  We have many parts of us, let us use them all, the good & a little of the bad. Read groby 57's posts, he has the true vision of life. I think you will enjoy his way of thinking.  Repartee is the appetizer of life, take a bite & live.

Oh my god. Were so easily replaced.

Why are married women fatter than single women.
Single women go to see what is in the fridge and go to bed.
Married women see what is in the bed and go to the fridge. 😆😆

Stanr, not replaced, added to.

:lol::lol:

You guys are cracking me up.

To acpcpa -  move here for you.  Come for  3, 6 1 months and give it a try.  Later you don't wanna ask yourself what if I had done that.  You will know if this is for you.

Stay away from ALL Men who work in tourism!  They want a gringa for ALL the wrong reasons.  Come and start meeting people, watch and learn,  Keep your eyes and ears open,  don't trust anyone until they give you reason to trust them.

Need help - ask for a recommendation on here.   

What area are you thinking about trying???