Monthly Rental Place

I'm in the early stages of looking into this, I'm looking for a small place to stay in HCMC single room or studio with bath.  I don't know if it's realistic to expect something like this for around 200usd or less for a period of 1-3 months, maybe longer.

I was at Bui Vien a few years ago and the single room I stayed at was 12usd per night down to 9 for staying more than 5 days or so. It had a double bed, bath tv w/cable, AC and decent wifi.  Ideal but the location was a bit of a hassle with all the foot traffic and activity as well as the nightly noise despite being some distance from the main roads.

I've browsed through some quick sites, nothing under 500 so far. Based on my past experience around asia, prices on these expat and rental sites are generally a lot higher than what I've been able to find on the ground.  I'm hoping that's the same case here.  Any other input on where I might try to look, which districts you might suggest for me to have a look at.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Sounds nice but The price would have to be around $175 to interest me. There are small houses further out that I could get for $300 or so.

But you did not answer any of the questions I had.

You offer wifi, but I need a direct line to the modem....Ethernet port connection.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I would have to decline then. I "have" to have am Ethernet connection to the internet for my job. Thank you though.

Hi, Does your place come with air conditioning?

Hello everyone,

If you are looking for or proposing accommodation, please drop an advert in the housing dedicated section of the website :

- Housing in Ho Chi Minh City

The forum is not suitable neither for adverts nor for any kind of promotion.

All the best,
Bhavna

She may have broken the rules here but she did try to answer my questions and honestly, as a user of this forum...that is all I am concerned with.

The questions I am asking, only people who have units to offer will be in a position to answer them.

I've been to the accommodation section and no way to contact people other than phone there which I'm not ready to do. This was the perfect contact solution for what I needed.

Revolutionary wrote:

She may have broken the rules here but she did try to answer my questions and honestly, as a user of this forum...that is all I am concerned with.

The questions I am asking, only people who have units to offer will be in a position to answer them.

I've been to the accommodation section and no way to contact people other than phone there which I'm not ready to do. This was the perfect contact solution for what I needed.

You are new here and agents have a tendency to take over these questions so they are removed. If that poster wants to contact you by PM, thats fine, but they use forums like this to flog their businesses.

If you want to find something and pay local prices, get a local to help you with VN sites.

colinoscapee wrote:

If you want to find something and pay local prices, get a local to help you with VN sites.

Thanks for actually answering my question instead of spamming or hijacking it.   I do have a local contact but I'm trying as much as I can to do my own research before getting there.

I found a site with listings but some ads seemed to repeat themselves or use the same photo's different ads so I don't know how reliable the information is.

The local sites are in Vietnamese, unless you can read Vietnamese its of no use to you.

Here are 2 local classified sites with rental links. Copy and paste to a google chrome browser for useful and amusing translations.

chotot.vn/tp-ho-chi-minh/thue-bat-dong-san#
batdongsan.com.vn/nha-dat-cho-thue

For translation, and a local helper, you can post an ad for an assistant here https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/viet … stant.html
or craigslist vietnam.craigslist.org, there are also facebook groups with people who love meeting English speakers who might help, one is Saigon International Friends

Your next problem is that, like in your hometown, most apartment owners want a 1 year lease.
Post an ad here with your requirements for agents to help you, and the moderators won't complain:
https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/v … -rent.html

Personally I think if you are just here for 3 months, you can survive Phạm Ngũ Lão area. A 3-month rental will be long-term to them, probably happy to do a deal, check out the quieter back alleys. Also you won't need a deposit, a contract, being in a less central area where no one including your landlord speaks English, all the food is Vietnamese quán ăn, you have to walk far in the heat, or rent a motorbike, be stared at like an alien, etc inconveniences.
(p.s. I am describing where I live in D5, but I like the adventure!)

DO NOT ever trust anything these purported "Agents"say , never . If you like being deceived , lied to , and mucked endlessly around , go right ahead .Cyclos are more honest

gobot wrote:

Here are 2 local classified sites with rental links. Copy and paste to a google chrome browser for useful and amusing translations.

chotot.vn/tp-ho-chi-minh/thue-bat-dong-san#
batdongsan.com.vn/nha-dat-cho-thue

For translation, and a local helper, you can post an ad for an assistant here https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/viet … stant.html
or craigslist vietnam.craigslist.org, there are also facebook groups with people who love meeting English speakers who might help, one is Saigon International Friends

Your next problem is that, like in your hometown, most apartment owners want a 1 year lease.
Post an ad here with your requirements for agents to help you, and the moderators won't complain:
https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/v … -rent.html

Personally I think if you are just here for 3 months, you can survive Phạm Ngũ Lão area. A 3-month rental will be long-term to them, probably happy to do a deal, check out the quieter back alleys. Also you won't need a deposit, a contract, being in a less central area where no one including your landlord speaks English, all the food is Vietnamese quán ăn, you have to walk far in the heat, or rent a motorbike, be stared at like an alien, etc inconveniences.
(p.s. I am describing where I live in D5, but I like the adventure!)

Thanks. I'll probably just stay in Pham Ngu Lau area if I have difficulties finding a place. In other places like Manila and KL, i've been able to find small places in local neighborhoods where people were willing to accept a months deposit and just allow me to rent by the month.   Right now I'm trying to find out and familiarize myself with the different districts, which are cheaper and which ones cost more. I'd also like to find out more so I can avoid renting in a place with lots crime or something that turns out to be a red light district like I almost did one time.

colinoscapee wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

You are new here and agents have a tendency to take over these questions so they are removed. If that poster wants to contact you by PM, thats fine, but they use forums like this to flog their businesses.

Oh, they already have but like I said to them when the conversation was public, they did not have what I needed. And that would have been the end of it. I'm neither a tool nor uneducated so I'm not quick to fall for a scam.

If something does not meet my needs or does it seem right I can and will walk away.

If the wifi is strong enough and steady, I might be able to mask the fact I am using wifi from my company and keep on working without a hardwired link. I'd rather not though as I've done it temporarily in the past and it does seem to make the connection less stable even when it shouldn't.

Happy8888 wrote:

DO NOT ever trust anything these purported "Agents"say , never . If you like being deceived , lied to , and mucked endlessly around , go right ahead .Cyclos are more honest

Good morning Happy8888,

My name is Nga

I am an agent in Phú Mỹ Hưng in D7

I give to you an apologize  so much instead of any Vietnamese agents who made you no still trust us. But i only want to say something to you.

I am an agent 2.5 years more in D7. I have some foreigner customers. Some as my friend some as my brother of sister.

They satisfied my services. They trust me, they send to me the rental to give to the owner. I help them to pay all facilities every month... I am willing to help my customers anything within my abilities.

Anyway, i hope you will trust us again.

Thank you Happy8888 a lot.
Have a funny day!!!

When are you coming exactly?

I posted a tutorial video on Youtube to instruct people how to find real estate property in Vietnam,
include finding room for rent, house for rent.

You can watch it, and let me know if you have any question.

Feel free if you have comments & suggestions about the email!