Importing a car to Puerto Rico

I am relocating to Puerto Rico in 45 days. I am considering shipping my 2014 Buick Enclave. It is a lease and I have verified the lien holder allows for transport to PR.  Any ideas on how to find the true cost of import, excise tax, registration and any other expected or unexpected costs?

A leased car?
Wow no idea, unclear what the company will do if you kept the car and stopped payments.
Given that the car is leased and not your property, I am not sure how the import taxes would be calculated.
What happens after the end of the lease? Do you have to return it and pay again shipping charges to send it back to the leasing company?
Sorry I never heard of that.

Try this link in the site, not sure if it will help or not. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=53551

I've the same questions to them about the leased vehicle.  I wonder how that works.

I am not sure if sdneil actualy has clearance from the leasing company to transport the vehicle out of the mainland. Sdneil says he was guven clerance but that needs to be in writing and in the form of an affidavit plus also he needs the tittle according to the site.

Nothing I saw in the goverment site seems to deal with a leased vehicle.
Problems:
A) Running out of time, he has less than 45 days left to get this right or cancel the lease or delay the trip.
B) He needs an affidavid from the lease company and should call the shipping company to make sure there are no additional requirements
C) He needs to get the tittle which is probably in the leasing company name. This normaly is needed by the shipper and the PR goverment.
D) He should call Hacienda to make sure about the taxes and to make sure he is not going to have issues registering the car.

I find it dificult to beleive that the leasing company will allow the car to leave the mainland, in the event that he fails to pay the lease or the lease period is over, it will be veey expensive to reclaim their property, also the car may need to pay taxes when it reenters the mainland.

I have a credit score of around 800, and the bank that my car loan is with, will not let me ship the car until I have it payed in full.

No clear procedure for shipping a lease car, no clear information about taxes on entry and no written affidavid yet from the leasing company sounds like a last minute disaster.

I could be wrong but I think a tempest of phone calls will be required as soon as possible to make sure all is going to be well.

*** Note: I been told that there are no lease programs in PR, there are special arrangements but not a true lease as I been told. I would recommend you make a lot of phone calls but in the end you will likely end up terminating the lease. Transportation will be around 1,200, Taxes based on value of the car will likely be around 4,000 (mine is 3,600 and my car is not leased), other things like registration, tittle, etc count on at least 200 more.
Rey

sdneil wrote:

I am relocating to Puerto Rico in 45 days. I am considering shipping my 2014 Buick Enclave. It is a lease and I have verified the lien holder allows for transport to PR.  Any ideas on how to find the true cost of import, excise tax, registration and any other expected or unexpected costs?

@sdneil- what do you end up doing about taking your leased car to PR?  Did it work out for you?

I check the record, he has not been in the forum in 10 months, so it is unlikely he will respond.

I'm surprised nobody has discussed bringing a leased car to Puerto Rico.  I am going to call the tax office tomorrow to see how they will treat it.

Please let us know, as far as we know it is not possible, but we do not know everything.
Most people buy local, some ship purchased vehicles.