Safety

Hello,

My name is Laura and I am an American teacher living in the United Arab Emirates. My partner and I will be leaving the UAE in December and are currently considering where we would like to teach next. He has some upcoming interviews for Ankara and I am just wondering if any of you have had any change in how safe you feel there over the past year. I know that safety is relative, anywhere in the world could be considered dangers, the news exaggerates things etc... but I just wanted to hear straight from expats that are there what your thoughts are. Thank you in advance!

Laura

Hi Laura,

If you look beyond the media portrayal of various countries, I think you will find Turkey to  be a great place to reside in provided you do have a nice job of course. Ankara is not filled with tourists like Istanbul, nevertheless it is a good city to work in, though it can be very boring.

As far as safety goes, there is some sort of tension in Turkey on its Syrian border, but that's far from Ankara (not that Ankara didnt get affected a couple of months ago). Overall, its pretty safe. Also, it would be great if the thread gets response from other American expats living in the city.

Good luck! : )
Z

Thank you for the honest response! My partner and I like to go out for drinks and dinner, but aren't too into nightclubs and things like the anyways so I'm not very concerned in that regard. Thank you for giving me your opinion about safety in the country also :-)

No problem. Glad I could be of some help.

Also, whether you want to go out for a dinner or a drink, you will find the nightlife equally appealing.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post. : )

Z

Hello Laura,
As a turkish living in USA, I do not feel safer than how I would feel in Turkey, unfortunately there are risks everywhere. However what I believe is you also need to watch out for yourself wherever you are. For example, not being in the crowded areas, being always suspicious to the strange pockets,bags,left luggages in the streets, not sitting outside chairs of the restaurants( even though they are great places to chill), always checking the exits of the inside places before you sit somewhere,etc. I know it will sound too much or like being hyper all the time but unfortunately we are living full of bad things around us and we need to be concerned.

Other than that Ankara is a beautiful city to live even though it doesnot have a seaside to chill, there are famous streets and historical places you can visit. Have a nice and safe trip.

Thank you "selenaaa," that was very helpful :-)