Foreign Marriages in Cambodia

I visited Phnom Penh for the first time in November 2013 to do some research on the legality of the Government's decision in March 2011 to ban foreign men over 50 from marrying Cambodian women. I was there for a week and couldn't speak Khymer. I was unemployed and 52 at the time and was told by the British Embassy that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are very strict on enforcing the age limit.  However, 6 months after my return to the UK, I received a Cambodian Marriage Certificate with my name on it. Attached to this was a demand to pay the bride's family 700 USD or else they would inform the Cambodian Police that I was already married in the UK. I have no memory of the wedding in Cambodia and can't return for fear of being arrested. I ignored the demand believing it to be a hoax.  I guess the moral of the story is don't believe everything the British Embassy says.

The embassy is correct. There may be a marriage certificate with your name on it, but it can't be legally valid as the process can't go ahead without your direct involvement (the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Foreign affairs need a lot of documents submitted by you including proof of employment, and you need to attend an interview, and you DEFINITELY need to be under 50). Most likely someone is trying to scam you.

If you want you can post a scan of the certificate and I can compare it to my own. It's definitely fraudulent either way.

The Certificate I had (now destroyed) was written in Khmer and had an official government stamp on it dated February 2014. It showed my date of birth and my age as 52 and looked like an extract from another document which presumably is held by a Commune office somewhere in Phnom Penh. I hope, as you say, that it is not legally valid.

Fraud.

Welcome to SCAMBODIA.

Just found out that the Certificate issued in February 2014 is genuine!

Well I am lost.

The document maybe genuine but that does not make it legal, reference Mr Crawford's comments above.

I have been in a committed relationship for 11 years now, but cannot get married. I fail to understand how you could have got into this situation without a scam taking place. In any case there are plenty more countries to visit, don't lose any sleep about scambodia.

I am very sorry to hear that the system in Cambodia does not allow you to be married..I understand your resentment.  During my research in November 2013 I found a number of discrepancies in the process. Not just in Cambodia but in the UK too. This may have been sorted out now. I wish you and your partner all the best for the future. I will leave this thread now.

rdickenson416 wrote:

I am very sorry to hear that the system in Cambodia does not allow you to be married..I understand your resentment.  During my research in November 2013 I found a number of discrepancies in the process. Not just in Cambodia but in the UK too. This may have been sorted out now. I wish you and your partner all the best for the future. I will leave this thread now.

I do hope your intention is NOT to pay the family the $700 USD. I assure you, it is a fraudulent claim.

hi, it's pretty easy to check legality of the certificate.  Just call to the Sangkat where your "wife" is registered.

That's not going to work as he does not speak Khmer.

Just be thankful you never "married" into this family but unfortunately most are the same and will try and get every penny from you after you are together.

obvious to say this but you have "no memory of getting married" ???   how many drugs did you partake in?

thats just crazy talk.  I suppose that comment would not help you but ignore it. they don't keep track of anything in cambodia.

Go about your business and meet a new girl.. try  a different bar then the one you were at before!

Think about it as a blessing in disguise...You really want to get married ?? how well do u know this person or are you speaking for the possible future?

Why get married? you can have the milk for free so why buy the cow??
Makes no sense

You're right! It doesn't make sense. The 700 USD being requested by the bride's family is the money they paid to a Ministry Official to 'fast track' the marriage application. The application was completed in a fast food restaurant in November 2013 just around the corner from the offices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I understand that the Official was subsequently 'transferred' overseas after an investigation. Good day Sir.

Maybe your leaving out information but i have no idea whats going on.

Is this someone you were dating??  Did you want to get married??

I personally don't think you will have any problems returning to Cambodia. I have never been checked,searched or anything at the airport and highly doubt you are red flagged.

Do you want to still see this woman?? I assume not. If thats the case, ignore her and her friends, family.

If she knows your in Cambodia she will find you..   I think she views you as an atm

Same happend with my papers. But the cafetera was oppose to MFA.

I saw many couples in the restaurant; each paying money to the Ministry Official.  I think this should have been done at the offices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I have no idea. But it's common peactice.

It is strange that this MFA Official was charging 700 USD to assist Foreign Nationals to complete  Marriage Application Forms and the accompanying documentation.  According to the US Embassy website - 'there should be no fees charged by anyone at the MFA for this process – the application should be free.  The MFA's role should be to review and give advice on the application and accompanying documentations of the foreign applicant, and if all documents are in order, the application is forwarded to the Ministry of Interior.'  I did notice that at the interview at the Ministry of Interior in Phnom Penh, the Police Officers questioned the size of the payments being paid.

I'm confused too.
You don't remember getting married but after one week (the mind boggles) in Cambodia you were at some type of pre marriage registry filling out forms?
Is that how they tracked you down 6 months later, in England?
So many questions...

He remembers even an interview in MIA.  This is the end. Got married.

His English wife won't be impressed.

Why all you guys keep reacting on this? The OP is a troll, that's clear. No knowledge of being married but remembers being in a FF restaurant with an official of MIA? Receives a "genuine" document stating correct date of birth and other personal info? Nobody can get married without being present and declaring to want to marry this or that woman! Come on, fool yourself.

I think you are right. But what's a reason? nothing to do?

I think 'ruvanes' got it right first up...drugs.

Some people like to activate others to write comments, by starting an absolutely ridiculous topic, like this one. The whole story is fake and indeed maybe the OP has nothing betters to do, I don't know.

should we ask our admin to close this topic?

I was just going to ask.. what is the reason/purpose behind this???  but then read Joekhmer comments... maybe just a troll but for what reason???   again read joekhmer.. maybe JK is correct.

my initial thought was to try and wrap my head around it and figure it out ///help the person but the story makes no sense...
Even when we inquire for more info he just cherry picks what to answer.

after i wrote " drugs" i thought about it more and felt bad.. maybe just senile?

anyway i think joekhmer put this one to bed
and if it is drugs, i would hope he would share!

If we stop posting it will die automatically...  :whistle:

[Post under review]

Hi everybody,

This topic is becoming a bit silly and there is no useful information posted here to help expatriates.

We are therefore closing this thread.

Thanks all for your contribution

Priscilla

[ Topic closed ]

Closed