Born a Canadian, always a Canadian...no matter where you live

Hi there. A note from a "long time" expat...to other expats...
After living aboard (in Holland) for more than 20 years....I still always refer to myself as a Canadian, THEN also being dutch.  For me my being Canadian, is not only my birthright, but also a part of my character and personality.  No matter where I live, or travel...Canada is my source, my roots.  But that also gives me my anchor when I am living here in Holland.  I have come to accept and realise that I have 2 homes, and 2 lives...one here in Holland, and my life in Vancouver, where the rest of my family and friends live.  What helped me to adjust here to my life is NOT to constantly compare the 2 countries to each other.  That is impossible.  Just for the simple fact that they are so different from each other.  The language, the people, the daily life, the traditions, culture, the work place and ethics...the list goes on.  If you keep comparing the two...it makes your adjustment all the more difficult and a huge waste of energy and emotion that you need to learn about living here in Holland.  Yes, it is different, but once you look at it objectively there are many good things, and good people here.  One last tip...the dutch may seem stiff, and hard to get to know/ or thaw out....but once they sense that you really are trying to learn and adjust...they will meet you more than half way. I never have regretted moving and living here. Of course I miss family at special times and occassions...but thank goodess for computers, webcams, sms's, and cellphones.  That makes up for a lot of distance, and miles between us.  Good luck with your adventure and experience here in Holland.  Mine has and is good. Hope yours is too. :) Joy

Hi Joy, welcome to Expat-blog! :) Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm sure you will get responses from other members here in Netherlands.

All the best,
Christine

I loved your post! It is so inspiring.I too am Canadian but I have only been here for 6 months and for a while I was finding the adjustment difficult and was finding myself comparing, which you are right, is kind of a waste of energy. Now,I am trying to focus on the differences but in a positive way. Your post said it all ...Thank you!

Hello.  I am glad you enjoyed the story of my experience of living here in Holland.  It is still a learning curve for me, but a positive one. Even after all these years here, I still am learning something new about being a "dutchy"...Actually we are lucky, we can enjoy the best of both worlds....Canadian and dutch...the choices are ours.  For example this Christmas is going to be once again...half and half.  When I first came to live in this town....NO ONE did anything with Christmas lights on the houses.  But I strung up my lights year after year...even with some of the neighbours saying I was crazy, childish, or garish. Now 12 years later...almost every house on the street has some type of Christmas lighting on the house, or around the windows.  Enjoying your own traditions, and ways of being Canadian, don't apologize or feel that you have to become "dutch", and let go of being Canadian.  It is what makes us unique, and special.  They can learn from us  too.  :) greetings  Joy.

hi joy...

saw you on the map, i'm also canadian, living in provincie groningen...been here 10yrs. i feel much the same as you...proud of being both canadian and dutch!

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story. Even though I'm not Canadian, I can understand anyone's will to preserve and take hold of their identity while learning about other cultures and counties and even becoming one of them. As you said , you can the best of both worlds. :)