Opening a bank account without an Occupation Permit

Hi all,

Does anyone know what bank(s) allow you to have a bank account without an Occupation Permit? So far HSBC have said no, and I'm waiting for MCB to get back to me - I called but was told to email them (which I have now done).

Any information for anyone doing this recently would be a great help - just to clarify it's for the Occupation Permit in the self-employed section where you need to have $35,000 in a local bank account before applying for the OP.

Sophie

Yes, MCB allows it. In fact all bank should allow it since BOI request you to have a local bank account with the funds on it prior to applying for OP. Some banks have still not understood this point. A big punch on the table would help them...show them the official document from BOI stating this point...it has always worked for me.

Thanks. Just to confirm for anyone else wondering - MCB opened the account no problem without an Occupation Permit.

Hello Everyone,

We are visiting Mauritius in Jan 2016  to investigate moving to Mauritius on a Retirement Visa.
The question re the bank account, do one open a foreign exchange account or a savings/current account?
This Visa requires us to deposit $40000,00 per year for 3 years into our Mauritian bank account.
We are from South Africa and will deposit the amount equivalent in South African Rand.

Thanks in advance