Close

What things are hard or impossible to get in Montenegro

Hi, I'm planning a possible move to Montenegro with my family of 4. My in-laws were ex-pats in Spain for a few years and when we visited we always had a shopping list of things they couldn't find in Spain, stuff like maple syrup, canned pumpkin, nicorrette gum etc.

What creature comforts do you miss and can't find in Montenegro? I saw a video that someone complained that good quality vegetables were difficult to find in the coastal towns? Is this true?

KimExPat :

Hi, I'm planning a possible move to Montenegro with my family of 4. My in-laws were ex-pats in Spain for a few years and when we visited we always had a shopping list of things they couldn't find in Spain, stuff like maple syrup, canned pumpkin, nicorrette gum etc.

What creature comforts do you miss and can't find in Montenegro? I saw a video that someone complained that good quality vegetables were difficult to find in the coastal towns? Is this true?

Hey Kim :)
When I moved to Montenegro 7 years ago, there was a LOT of foreign supplies missing... Each year you see more and more coming on the market which is great. There was no Heinz Ketchup, or Soja Sauce, or Sushi Supplies, Coconut milk... Now you can find these...
Each nationality of course has their own "needs" and for us French people, I would say that what is missing the most is French "Saucisson" (despite the huge selection of dry meet they have here, but they tend to smoke and salt (too much) absolutely everything.....) and Cheese (they have cheese, but a very small selection, and usually very young).

So I don't recall seing any canned pumkin (pretty sure you can't find it) or nicorette gum (everyone smokes here) ;) but Maple syrup I think there is.... A US expat would be better placed to give you more info :) Gary maybe: http://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php? … mp;lang=en
Cheers!

KimExPat :

I saw a video that someone complained that good quality vegetables were difficult to find in the coastal towns? Is this true?

By the way I am very surprised to read this, as this is one of the things expats enjoy the most in Montenegro: the quality of vegetables, fruits, meat etc. You can find very good organic locally grown vegetables and fruits year round on the coast, especially super tasty tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers etc. in the summer, and all sorts of winter vegetables in the winter. Also the meat is extremely tasty and tender, and there's a good selection of fresh fish as well....
I would say that the restaurants are a bit "boring" after a few years as there is little variety (mostly National Cuisine, which is delicious by the way, and Italian Cuisine). So until some new types of restaurants open, if you like to cook you can make amazing dishes with the local supplies because the ingredients are so good.

Just to add on to what Tsarine said...Whatever you don't find in Montenegro just stop by neighboring Albania and shop at Conad (Italian supermarket) or Carrefour (French) and you can find it easily there.....at a fraction of the cost ;-)

Expatriate health insurance in Montenegro

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Montenegro

Moving to Montenegro

Find tips from professionals about moving to Montenegro

Travel insurance in Montenegro

Enjoy stress-free travel to Montenegro

Flights to Montenegro

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Montenegro