Getting a "new" 90-day Tourist Card--by crossing the border into Arg.

So, I live in Peru most of the time. I've crossed the border into Arica, Chile, and returned to Peru the next day--and received an additional 90 days in Peru.

My question is, Does this work in Chile, too?!?

I'll be living in Nireguao, Chile (due east from Puerto Aysen)--almost in the middle of nowhere. LOL

I'm thinking (and hoping) that near the end of my 90 days in Chile that I can perhaps cross into Argentina, between Coyhaique Alto, Chile, and Aldea, Argentina, for a day or two (or even less) and then return and get a Tourist Card for an additional 90 days.

In part, this is appealing because I don't know where or how far from my residence the nearest official office might be--where I could simply pay my $100 and get a new card. Does that make sense?

And, yes, I'm aware of the $160 fee in Argentina, etc. And that I have to pay the fee in advance. I plan to travel to Argentina a few months later, sooooo ... the $160 is fine (so to speak).

Not to beat a dead horse, but ... is the crossing at Balmaceda "better"?!?! For whatever reason. Either one would be "doable" for me. 50-60-70 miles from where I'll be living.

In advance, thank you!!!!!!!

~ Michael (Currently in Cajamarca, Peru)

Yes, a lot of people do that. It is perfectly fine.

Thanks! I've been doing some reading since posting the question. I guess a lot of folks in Santiago routinely, and repeatedly do this, to get "more time" in Chile.

I'm just trying to avoid surprises--which isn't all that easy in South America. LOL

Again, thanks for responding!


Yeah, just make sure you do your paperwork before you get to the border. Depending on the border crossing, they will turn you away unless you have already gotten your visa to argentina.

Exactly. Thanks for the reminder, though!

can I get chile tourist visa in chile border?

So just so everyone knows, a friend of mine and his family went across the argentine border recently. Coming back, they harassed them and detained them. He told them they have spent too much time in Chile and only renewed them for 15 days instead of the 90 days. This is the first I have ever heard of them doing this, but it happened to my friend.

can nepali get chile tourist visa in Bolivia?

I know this is an older thread but recently thanks to Obama's trip to Argentina the $160 reciprocity fee for American citizens entering Argentina has been suspended. As of April 2016. So we can freely travel to Argentina any time. The reciprocity fee for Americans entering Chile was dropped in 2014.

That could be a tricky situation.  Chile does not welcome all easily. For Nepal, an application must be submitted 2 weeks in advance according to this article which I think is fairly accurate info. … -in-chile/

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Chile

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Chile

Moving to Chile

Find tips from professionals about moving to Chile

Travel insurance in Chile

Enjoy stress-free travel to Chile

Flights to Chile

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Chile

2 million members!

Watch later