To start a India food in bali

Need help
Objective is to semi retire in Bali
Can anyone help to advise if India food is a viable business investment in Bali
Food price usd3-9  with area 120sqm
Any recommendation of area for setup (Denpasar / Seminyak or Kuta)

All comments and feedback (Positive/negative) will be greatly appreciated

You'll have to look at visas available, but I see you having problems.

Hello,
Currently I live in Bali, I think it's very good idea..
At this moment only queen tandory the best Indian Resto..
I can help you to get more information..
Pls send me an email, what is your plan..and all what you need..
Thx
Nia

Hi Fred,
Visas will a problem from your perspective
Big thanks

Lots of expats have settled in Ubud so that might be a good place to set up.

Hi Nia
Thanks for your responsemail , in due time may contact yourself for further needs

Take a serious look at visas first.
A retirement visa won't allow you to work, and you'd have serious problems getting an IMTA for any sort of restaurant work.
If you're married to an Indonesian it's easy to get round the problems.

As a general rule of thumb when it comes to restaurants in Bali, it is far better to take over an existing restaurant that has failed, or is failing than to start from scratch.  And there are always a great many either currently failing or failed restaurants to choose from. 

Taking over existing leases is almost always cheaper than negotiating a new lease, and the same goes for transferring current in place business licenses as opposed to applying for new business licenses.

In the southern areas of Bali you mention there is already a very high saturation of restaurants.  And btw, the same is true in Ubud.   

As Fred mentioned, getting a visa to work in a restaurant here is “Mission Impossible” but I read your post more along the lines of being the investor/co-owner of a start up, and in that regard, it would be possible to get your KITAS visa and work permit under either a PT or PMA type business.  You will need the assistance of a professional attorney to do this right, and with the best protection of your investment. 

You should also be aware that these days it is far more difficult, and expensive to either take over, or initiate a new start up than it ever was in the past two decades. 

If you are seriously thinking about starting an Indian cuisine restaurant here in Bali you need to come over here and spend a couple of months looking around and speaking with other expats who have already done that, and who are successful.  There is no substitute for home work, and there is no chance of doing too much in advance investigation.

Good luck.

Ubudian
Very kind for your sharing, will take your advise
Thanks n regards

Happy to offer some insight, and once again, good luck!   :top: