Teaching English in Kuala Lumpur

Hello my name is Cameron.
I am originally from New zealand but for the past 5 years have been teaching English in South Korea and Loas. I am currently volunteering in a refugee camp in Thailand but am looking for work in Kuala Lumpur, starting in mid-October.
I was hoping to meet up with some other teachers already in Malaysia and would love to hear about the job market and any advice would be awesome.
Best whishes
Cameron Lucas

Hi Cameron,
I've been teaching and travelling too, for the last 12 years. My (Turkish) husband and I came to KL two years ago. Teaching English in Malaysia is much different than teaching in other Asian countries. English is widely spoken here, so there are not nearly as many language schools. Also a lot of the students here are foreign students (lots and lots from the Middle East) who come here to study English before joining universities here (because it's a Muslim country which is cheaper than theirs and also offers more social freedoms than their own countries). So the student make-up is quite unique.

If you have an education degree you can apply teach at an International school, but for those with a non-education degree, I think the three biggest English language schools are:

1. International House at Limkokwing University - poor working conditions, very badly run, don't do it.
2. ELS - locally run, decent
3. The British Council - the best place by far - excellent working conditions and professional development but you need CELTA plus 2 years experience in order to apply.

Hope that helps!

www.engberts-kaya.com

but.. but.. why would anyone want to teach english here :(
i taught in japan for 2 years.. trying to live in malaysia for a bit, and most of the schools i found pays really badly (compared to japan, well, obviously), still.. mmm..
instead of english, just be a teacher in the international schools, i think that is a better way to go.

btw, im from aotearoa too ;)

Hi jonnyha

to be able to teach English in Japan, isnt it necessary to be fluent in Japanese?

just wondering=D because the work does sound good

i went without any japanese knowledge. so answer to your question is no, you don't need to know japanese at all. (of course, knowing some basics will help you survive)

try searching for "JET Program" on the net, you might find a local office in your town :-)

ha ha ha. this is very interesting to know each other thought over English. i think English is very important for everyone who wants to fly over this world.
mrinal
(moderated: no free ads, pls)

Is IH Malayasia at LKW still bad?  I have just completed a preliminary review with them and it seems as though theyve cleaned up their act a little, at least on paper.  18-20hs a week, 1400 USD/mo, while housing is still not located close to campus.
Any word from teachers there?

slimchung wrote:

Is IH Malayasia at LKW still bad?  I have just completed a preliminary review with them and it seems as though theyve cleaned up their act a little, at least on paper.  18-20hs a week, 1400 USD/mo, while housing is still not located close to campus.

Hi that's 4200 rm a month under the legal limit for an employment pass of 5k a month. That's rubbish pay for living in KL as an expat -  certainly means working extr hours but that's illegal aswell.

And working for a Chinese run company or uni is soul destroying at best and like working for brain dead zombies from hell (with added face problems) while having yourself sucked dry by a triffid. For 4k it ain't worth it!

I bet they find suckers to work there anyway always someone desperate enough in KL as TEFL job market is weak. There are good jobs for very experienced and dedicated EFL teachers in government projects. By good I mean paid 7k plus. Competition for these is intense though

Nemodot wrote:
slimchung wrote:

Hi that's 4200 rm a month under the legal limit for an employment pass of 5k a month. That's rubbish pay for living in KL as an expat -  certainly means working extr hours but that's illegal aswell.

And working for a Chinese run company or uni is soul destroying at best and like working for brain dead zombies from hell (with added face problems) while having yourself sucked dry by a triffid. For 4k it ain't worth it!

I bet they find suckers to work there anyway always someone desperate enough in KL as TEFL job market is weak. There are good jobs for very experienced and dedicated EFL teachers in government projects. By good I mean paid 7k plus. Competition for these is intense though

That helps, thanks for the feedback Nemodot.

4200 a month, is a rubbish salary for an expat, I agree.

It's also the salary I was paid almost 8 years ago...doing similar work there.

Working at a language center, for an expat, seems to be a no-brainer, unless you just really have a thing for Malaysia.  It's not a money-maker, at all.