Options for Christmas

Hello fellow Ex-Pats,

I've read that hotels are a great option for Christmas dinner and increasingly even the Maltese are taking advantage of this as opposed to dining at home.  My question is does anyone have any feedback or suggestions on this?
It will be my first solo-Christmas this year and I thought this could be a nice alternative.  Additionally why we're at it any other unique things, or events to look out for during the Holidays?

Thanks!
Mark

Yes we are a family of 3 and have always opted for the hotel Christmas day lunch – usually the Excelsior although have tried the Palace Hotel and the Phonecia .  Prefer the Excelsior, the Palace was just one big queue and so as we had a young child ended up eating our meals at different times, the Excelsior was far superior food wise and better organised.  My only criticism is that they do seem to lack atmosphere unless going in a big party of people – they mention or imply a theme and entertainment but so far this has been non-existent.  Saying that we've always enjoyed the meal so will be doing the same this year.