Meeting up - Any expat group to assist new comers?

Hello all
I'm now in MAURITIUS, yeh. Just wondering if there is an expats meet and greet group to (induct)/assist new comers with info of general day to day living. For example where to go to set up tv and telephone  etc.  Also to make new friends.

Good morning, Barbara,

I hope your move has gone well and you settle in to your new home quickly.

Any tips? I move next week from the UK in to temporary accommodation until December when I take over the rental of an apartment in Tamarin.

I have a long term contract to work on the island and look forward to meeting expats like yourself and others who have been living on the island. 

Peter

Hi Peter,
You'll love it here, I have been visiting Mauritius for many years and now I'm here to stay.  As I am not working and have a residence permit, the whole process of getting here and packing up was quite stressful.  But now I'm here the stresses are different, not so intense.  You're lucky in as much as you have a job so you know where to look for a house/apartment.  I'm touring around the island looking at all the areas to see where I would like to live.
I would be happy to share my new local knowledge with you and help out where I can. My email address is **************
Best regards

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Barbara, hope u are enjoying Mauritius 😊 I am living on the north, if u need any assistance please do not hesitate to text me on private. Would be more than happy to meet up. Have a lovely weekend

Hello,
Thank you for your kind wishes.  I look forward to the weekend.  I would love to meet you, do you work? Send me your phone number and we can make a plan.
You have a good weekend as well.

Hi welcome to Mauritius where are you from?

Hello Sachita

If your question is for me, I am from Bristol, England. If it's for Barbara, over to you ...!

Peter

Hi how are you?

I'm busy finishing off my packing and gradually emptying my apartment.

How are you?

Peter

Grand a warm welcome hope you enjoying the heat.

Hi Sachita555,
I have come to Mauritius from England, Chester. But I'm originally from Zambia.  I'm loving Mauritius as I knew I would. It so nice to wake up to blue skies, fluffy clouds and most of the sunshine.
To coin a phrase ---- Life's a beach!!

Hello back 😉 I can't send u private msg with my phone number- your email is des able so please send me yours & I'll contact u back or email me on [email protected]                            Be in touch

Hello
any meeting up soon?

So nice to hear enjoy your weekends.

Hi,
I am glad that you have now arrived. I am back from the  Uk and cannot private message you and it is disabled.

Regards

Vedan :cheers:

Hello all

Do not forget to subscribe to the Networking in Mauritius section of the forum to be notified whenever there are meet ups being organized.

Best Regards

Kenjee

Hi guys,
I think we should organize a meet up soon. 
for the people here in the north, any suggestions??
;)

What a nice idea! I'll be moving to Mauritius in January and would love to meet other expats. Kindly keep me posted :-)

I arrived on Thursday afternoon and am staying temporarily in Phoenix but will move to Tamarin in early December. Can I still travel to the north for meet up?  Peter

Yes! A meet-up in the North. Let me know? Englishman here with a Mauritian wife and 16 months old baby would love to join in.

Looking forward to the meet.

Definitely any one can join, if you can make it to the north. I think it would be great to organize a meet-up in  grand baie.
Date and time will be decided later on.
:)

General information to set up a telephone and TV is visit the orange shop on 1st floor la croisette grand bay and tale a basic myT connection and u will have wifi tv and all.....
Any other questions Pl do post....
Warm regards
Suresh

Would be great!!! Shall we organise something before Xmas?

Hi

Coming in april from SA - my cat and I. Construction supply company as main and then also a few bits extra.

Stayiny long term rental in north @ pereybere ..

Holidayed many times

Vince

Chappers wrote:

Yes! A meet-up in the North. Let me know? Englishman here with a Mauritian wife and 16 months old baby would love to join in.

HA!!!!Ha!!Ha!!!

I am glad you are NOW on paradise Island,Mauritius BUT I am very very sorry that you have disabled your personal/pvt messages!It is of course your choice!!
At least I am 24 Hours open SHOP!!I am proud to provide a Humanistic approach to everyone's problem HERE!!
Best wishes
Vedan

sounds like a plan!!

Any nice coffee-shop in Grand Baie will do.

Hopefully we all don't wait on each other and Barbara can find a nice place for us (as this is her thread :) ).

Hi Barbara

We are not there yet but are making our plans.  We will be there again next March to look at properties etc but it would be lovely, and also helpful, to meet up for a drink or lunch or coffee for a chat to see how things have worked for you.  What do you think????

Regards

Audrey

Hello Audrey,
I would love to meet you and help in any way.  Contact me anytime.
Best wishes
Barbara

Hello, when is this meet-up in the North? Pity it's not in the West, I'd like to join too.
Genevieve

A meet up in mon choisy area will b good
How about the weekend like 12 or 13 dec

Hello Audrey,
It would be lovely to meet you on your next visit to Mauritius. My phone number is 57722370.
See you then.

I'm up for it. Let  me know where an when etc.

So far haven't found any coffee shops but will find a nice place and let you know.

Why not on the beach? That's how we do here in Flic-en-Flac, everybody brings his/her chair/stool and that's it.

If you guys are meeting up in the north, I believe there's a Vida E Caffe in Grand Baie (they're also in Bagetelle Mall and Black River)

Hi Dhalgren, thanks for this will research and then make a plan.

Maybe beach House im Grand Baie - lovely place

I'll second that! Beach House is lovely indeed. The best frozen strawberry daiquiri in the world!