Manila - to do or not to do :)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently living in Singapore and my office just proposed to me to move to Manila to take over the office over there ....
A big decision to make as I just get used to Singapore after 4 years in Africa ...

Anyone able to help me with good and bad things about moving to Manila ... Would be much appreciated :)

Thanks
Shana

Hi Shana,

I am also in Singapore since 2007 and will be moving over in January.

Manila is a challenge. If your company is sponsering you so that finance aside, your no better off in Mnl, then will have to carefully consider the pros and cons.

Pros;
- big city
- can buy a car much cheaper
- condos generally are larger
- lots of malls
- Pinoys are friendly
- can go to Boracuy
- a big expat community

Cons:
- traffic is bad in makati, no public transport
- crime is of course higher than in SG
- prices for most branded goods are more expensive
- rent may be as expensive as in SG, but its bigger
- inconvenience of not havin 24/7 support as in SG
- personal income taxes are much higher if you not tax equilalised.

I would think long and hard for making the move. For me, it made financial sense and I needed the career change. If your doing it to be country manager, remember that things are done very differtnly in PI and you may or may not succeed.

SG is such an easy place to live, and is close to many other great places such as Malaysia and Thailand that being in Manila is not such a big advantage travel wise. If anything, its not comparable as you have more discount airlines in SG.

Services in SG can be done easily if not online. PI, you can spend a lot of time chasing the beuracracy around.

Btw, my wife will be joining me and her company is making her a country manager as well.  So she can give you pointers in case your in sales and decide to go over.

Can email me with any questions.

Regards,
Don

Thanks don... For all the advice...
I'm going over on 26th for 2 weeks to see what it's all about...
Anyone keen in going fr a drink that period?

Thx

No prob.

I wont be in Manila until 8 January. So if you want to meet for drinks in SG,thats fine. Will be here until 22 Dec, when I go on holidays.

Good luck on your visit there.

Don

hi shana
i am an american and moved from singapore to manila 11 years ago as a retirement destination - in singapore i was an investment banker - i the philippines i have a retirement business in the entertainment sector - it has worked out perfectly for me as a retirement destination and i have no plans to ever move - the philippines has much to offer in terms of the outdoors, beaches, dive spots, natural beauty - the people are most friendly and inclusive - it is also not lacking in cultural interests, old historic towns and local arts

however manila is a large, crowded and chaotic city and parts of it are poor and dirty - there are however very clean, conventient and comfortable communities - if your company is in makati, i would suggest you look at rockwell for safety, convenience, and shopping, entertainment and restraunt facilities at your doorstep - very comfortable condos are available for about one third the singapore price

i am happy to meet for a drink - you may email me at [email protected]

best regards, tony

Hi Don,
Will def meet up for coffee in Singapore ... as soon as my travel plans are all sorted out, will let you know.

Hi Tony,
thanks for the input. I will let you know as soon as i'm in manila so we can catch up.

Cheers
Shana

Hi Shana,

I'm a Filipino, so you may think that my suggestions will favor my country.

Moving around Manila is tough for beginners. I must admit that the public transportation system here is bad so is suggest you buy your own ride (a truck or suv since manila streets get flooded easily).

If you're office is here in makati, like tony said, rockwell is the best option for you to stay. there are also a lot of condos within the city, travelling from home to office will be less hassle. if it's in alabang, there are exclusive villages within the area or you may get one from laguna, cavite or tagaytay.

If you have a Filipino counterpart in your company, i'm sure he (and his family) will be honored to guide you in moving around the city; from "tiangges" to posh shopping malls, hot springs and taal volcano view in nearby laguna and cavite, beaches and diving spots in batangas... your weekends will never be boring. If you are sporty, there are annual expat games in different sports club. I covered a touch rugby event once in Nomad Sports Club in Parañaque.

Hope my tips help you in making your decision...

-Jemil

Shana3110 wrote:

Thanks don... For all the advice...
I'm going over on 26th for 2 weeks to see what it's all about...
Anyone keen in going fr a drink that period?

Thx

hello shana!

It's a good idea to visit our coutry first to see it yourself and listen to all their advices as well.

I am Filipina born and raised in Makati. Afzalraza1 is right Rockwell is a nice place to live though condominiums there are much expensive. Most of my expats friends live in salcedo, paseo de roxas and legaspi, very near business bldgs, malls and entertainment facilities like Greenbelt and glorieta. Dhnindc is also right about the pros and cons
PROS
- big city so many  bars , restos, night life
- can buy a cheaper car and can even hire a driver
- condos generally are larger and cheap
- lots of malls to shop but I suggest green hills if you like to shop  purses
- Pinoys are friendly and can speak English, Even vendors so no worries when it comes to language.
- can go to Boracay and some other nice beaches like palawan's  puerto princesa etc
- a big expat community in makati you can see foreign guys everywhere especially in greenbelt.

Cons:
- traffic is bad in makati most especially rush hour, actually we so many public transportation like bus, taxi's and trains we even have our famous jeepneys but i suggest you to take a cab or just bring your car.( by cab- always tell the driver to use their meter if you dont want them  to charge you double or triple)
- crime is of course higher than in SG, but Makati is kinda safe, unless you walk freely on the small dirty side streets.
- prices for most branded goods are more expensive (true)
- rent may be as expensive as in SG, but its bigger ( i have no idea a bout the rent in SG but yeah we have nicer and bigger spaces and you can even hire a caretaker to clean your place.

Another good place to live is Eastwood City, a mixed bag of condos, call centers, malls, and many other conveniences just a few feet from your door. On the whole, it's probably cheaper than Rockwell. However, one thing that this community lacks is a supermarket. Still and all, my wife and I have lived here over five years. I'm happy that she selected this locale for us.

ok shana i had been filipines so many times .... going there as tourist is defrent that staying for work....
so the main thing i want tell you that unfortuntly filipino has this mentality that all forighner are ritch and wallking with full pocket of money.... in manila you should be carfull spicialy in buplic transportation and crwoded area..... never go places alone or with someone who you dnt know..... but in general filipino are friendly pepole...but just as you should do always be carfull
good luck

Thanks everyone for the input.
It all depends on my company now ... if it's green light from them .. i will be moving .. hopefully I will know by the end of the year ...

I think the Philippines will be more of a challenge professionally. But you won't regret it here.

Just wondering.  Did you make the move?

I did but then my boss decided to send me back to Singapore ... :(