Hiring a maid legally

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with hiring a maid legally please? We have found someone and agreed to hours, pay etc. I know I need to pay transport, pension and a 13th month (13ème mois like in France), I just need to know the following?

* Where can I find a template contract to use?
* How do I calculate the pension and who do I pay that too?
* Have I missed anything for being all above board?

Our maid will be working 4 hours a day / 5 days a week.

Thanks in advance,
Sophie

Hi Sophie,
I see you asked the same questions on BRM's, I hope now you already have some of the answers to your questions.

One thing worth noting what I was told is:

My maid works 5 days per week, 4 hours each morning for me, she also works the same days and hours but afternoons for another lady - the other lady pays the maids pension, when I inquired about also paying towards her pension, I was told only one person can pay these.

Social security/Labour office of Bambous  452 0157, they are very friendly and helpful, pop in or give them a ring.

Your maid will not be working this Wednesday as it is a public holiday (Divali) although you will still pay her. Same applies for all Public Holidays.

My friends seem to pay their nannies Rs100 to Rs150 plus transport (Taxi) or they run them home if they babysit in the evenings.

Speaking to friends and if we have contracts with our maids then advice and what to put in the contract has been given from the Socia/Labour office in Bambous as above.

A 13th Month bonus payment is paid to all employed staff here, this is pro rata and usually must be paid no later than I think 18th/19th December. If your husband is employed on the Island then he will also get a 13th Month Bonus Pro rata payment :)

Just had a thought how about contacting Annick the maid trainer regards to work contract guidance?

Hi Rosiewestie,

Thank you so much for all this - it's really helpful! Some of it I knew but some of it was new to me so all good :-)

Cheers,
Sophie

I'm also searching for a job like housemaid

@Taslima.d please post in the jobs section. Thanks

Hi there
Please could you advise what the hourly rate is for a cleaning/ironing lady. I am looking for someone to work three mornings a week.
Kind regards
Sandy

Its around Rs 50 for each hours.

Iam redy

hi there ,  we are moving over to Mauritius in the next 3-4 months , send your CV to me on xxx we will  be keen to chat with you ....

we are also on plan to visit the ISLAND  from 9-17 Feb , you can arrange to meet with us as well.... thanks ..

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Drop an advert in the jobs section please + do not publish your contact details on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

we are planning to move over to Mauritius  with in the next 3-4 months ....in regards to the MAID situation .... Q??......... do you get LIVE- IN MAIDS ..??

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the appropriate section : Jobs in Mauritius
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct