Considering moving with $1550 pension! Enough?

Hi, my fiancé and I are wanting to relocate to Ecuador permanently.

I have a pension of roughly $1,550 a month. Is this enough? We don't mind loving frugal.

Also,we'd like to be on the coast. I guess we don't really know where to start!

Is it difficult to get permanent visas? I guess any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. Josh

Joshua_metzger wrote:

Hi, my fiancé and I are wanting to relocate to Ecuador permanently. I have a pension of roughly $1,550 a month. Is this enough? We don't mind living frugal.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Josh.

A lot of people/couples report getting by on that amount or even a bit less.

For cost of living information, visit www.numbeo.com or relevant postings on this forum.  For the latter, type Cost of Living into the Expat.com search box atop this page and then click on the search icon to the right of the box.

cccmedia in Quito

Joshua_metzger wrote:

Is it difficult to get permanent visas?

Not for you, Josh. :)  With your pension, you easily qualify to get a residency visa .. and your partner comes along as a dependent.

There is no age requirement.

cccmedia in Quito

Many of the ex-pats in Ecuador are economic refugees…….those who receive some income, but in the states would be struggling to live in poverty conditions…….
It is possible to live well on $1500 for 2 here…….and even be able to save up some money for a trip back to the USSA each year.
Hint, it is possible to do your residency visa's yourself and that is how the Ecuadorian gov designed the process…….so you can some some money by asking around and getting everything done yourself……..before leaving make sure you have the documents needed with apostilles…..if you are not familiar with this, ask.
There are many affordable, smaller towns along the coast also……..
If you have not visited before, sure would be a good idea to spend some time here………..Ecuador is an awesome country, but it is a foreign spanish language country……
Suerte (luck) and vaya con Dios

Thanks so much for the advice. I will for sure look into it

Awesome. I'm only 34, so that's good news

That helps. Thank you. I think outside the city center could be the way to go. Now just to decide which is the best place to live!

Joshua_metzger wrote:

Now just to decide which is the best place to live!

If the beach is still your main interest, know that there are many micro-climates up and down the Pacific Coast and individual towns' characteristics vary ...

Salinas... touristy in-season, your dollars go far.

Montañita... surf city.

Manta... major industrial center, the Baltimore of Ecuador.

Bahía de Caráquez... a favorite for Expat retirees.

The "Puerto" towns... cute fishing villages, not-fully-developed infrastructure.

Y'all can take buses up and down the coast to see what agrees with you.

cccmedia in Quito

Yeah I think cvecking them out would be a good idea. Is housing easy to come by?
Sorry for all the questions

Joshua_metzger wrote:

Is housing easy to come by?

We're getting no reports of people having trouble finding housing on the coast.

The only problem is that some people fall for a 'deal-of-a-lifetime' and buy cheap coastal properties in places with undeveloped infrastructure and other building problems.

Just rent the first year.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks. Good to know. And we actually did talk about that and decided for sure to rent for awhile and then explore buying something later down the road. Where would you recommend to stay while looking for something to rent without paying an arm and a leg? Would like to make sure we can get a good deal in a location we will be happy with before just getting the first place we come across. Thanks again for all your help!

Joshua_metzger wrote:

Where would you recommend to stay while looking for something to rent without paying an arm and a leg?

You could start in Salinas, which is known for having bargain room-rates.  Check www.booking.com for rates and reviews.  High season in Salinas, a touristy beach city, is December to about May, so book well in advance if you can.

cccmedia in Quito

One thing you need to keep in mind, is that the economy here is on the down turn as in many countries. This can be a good thing or bad.

Right now as indicated by a family friend, who is a Realtor. There are many properties for sale idle in the market. It seems many people are selling or trying to shed pricey rentals and opting for cheaper digs.  For example we, have a three bedroom place near the old airport which we rent for $300.00 a month. Over the past week we have had over 75 calls for it.

Based on the economy we decided to require references and proof of employment. Many employment sectors are feeling the heat and it is not expected to get better anytime soon. We decided to rent to a family who owns a rental care company in town. He is leaving a $1,500.00 home for ours... This gives a good picture of how people are thinking right now.   

Even though there is a reduction for the import tariffs, this appears to apply to E.U. imports and does not affect imports from other areas. So many things will remain high. It is also safe to assume fuel prices will have to rise at some point as the oil and gas sector is in bad shape and have been laying off employees. In short things here will change, it should still continue to be a better market than other places. 

As others have pointed out, there are many pros and cons with moving to Ecuador. A fact finding trip would not be a waste of time or money. Living a modest life style sounds simple, but until you actually see an area and live the daily life, you will not know if you will be able to accept or overcome the changes. The language can be a big issue for many, in addition to that there are many little things that can add up and become a deal breaker for some.

The adventure can can over stimulate some folks, and have an effect on their judgement. Use your excitement to explore and seek out facts. The you can relax, review your information and make a sensible decision.

Good luck

Once you have decided on time frame for your visit, I would recommend you contact "JourneyManJack", he can be found on this site. For several years now he has provided logistic/travel support for Expats and tourists. Everything from day trips to multiple stops all over the country.

He is a very likable guy, form the U.S. who owns a very well maintained vehicle he uses to move people and things all over the country. He has a Commercial Drivers Licence here as well as having had one in the U.S.   This is an area you do not want to take chances with, moving around the country by other means can be a dangerous prospect. Whether you want to go "Hostel" or "Five star accommodations" he knows where to go, and uses many reliable contacts.

Reliable, safe transportation can be a great source of anxiety. Having a person familiar with the country, that can be easily communicated with, will allow you to sit back and enjoy the ride in safety and comfort.

Hey Josh, My husband and I just returned from a "Crash Course in Ecuador". We highly recommend it.  We landed in Quito, spent two nights there and then toured the country and the coast from Cotacachi to Mindo, then to Pedernales to Salinas and Guayaquil and then up to Cuenca, Vilcabamba and Loja.  There were many other towns we stopped in, too. It was almost two weeks long and well worth every penny! We could have never seen or learned so much about Ecuador on our own in a year.  There were expats to speak with us about their experiences in every location. No one tried to sell us anything, just gave us the facts, both good and bad.  There was also a lawyer who spoke with us about the residency/visa requirements. Again, we highly recommend this tour. Check out their website at ecuadorexpatjourneys.com.