Moving to Oslo, Norway

Hello Boys and Girls,

I shall be moving very soon to Oslo (like this weekend!). I am moving from Qatar which is a total opposite of Norway so it shall be a very interesting experience (i am quite sure).

As I wont be coming here at the best of weather, I would like to confirm what all I have bought:

1. Warm but not waterproof (Northface) head gear
2. Woolen scarves
3. Solid walking boots (Waterproof, Timberland)
4. Waterproof, down jackets
5. Waterproof, warm gloves

I am not sure if I need any waterproof ski trousers. Some people have mentioned that it would help to keep a pair.

It seems that I am good to go but I just wanted to confirm if there is anything else I should invest in.  :)

Lets hope for the best and a beautiful winter.

Thanks in advance.

Umair

Having waterproof trousers can be quite helpful but it depends on what kind of activity/commuting you plan to do. I've seen people biking to work even in a snowstorm, and for that you surely need waterproof gear.

However, surprising though it might be, you can buy plenty of winter gear in Oslo, and not all of it is crazy expensive! So, I'm sure whatever you're missing will be easy enough to pick up here.

Brilliant. Thank you.

It was very cold when I was there in the winter; I had icicles in my beard!!!  You may find a neck warmer that you can pull up over your lower face useful.

Thank you! Yes. I shall buy one as well. Scarfs worked for me in England but yes it would be a good idea to have one in your bag. :)

At the moment, it is not that cold in Oslo, with daytime temperatures around 1-4 degrees.   For the first few days after arrival you will notice it, but you may be surprised that it does not feel colder than it should.    If you are planning on heading into the hills or mountains then some extra clothes will be needed, but just now in Oslo it is ok.

I agree. Its absolutely beautiful weather! :)

I went for a walk on the Karl Johan Road yesterday and it was brilliant brilliant weather!

might want to consider buying:
1. wool Thermal top and long johns
2. Ice spikes to put on shoes for black ice

you can buy the above in Oslo. There are more choices to choose from.

Yes. I have already bought and kept them for colder times to come. Thank you again fornight.