Moving to KL with family

Helo all,

I am in process of getting a job in KL. My salary will be USD4,000 (MYR17,000) after tax deduction. One home trip per year shall be provided by the company. All other arrangements need to be made at my own expense.

I plan to move with my family comprising of my wife, son (5.5yrs) and daughter (7months).

My office shall be located in Mont Kiara area. Apparently it is not covered by metro and other public transport except for taxis.

My querries are as follows:
1. Which areas will suit me for accomodation? What would be the rent like? I am eyeing a modest 2 bed room appartment.
2. What are the best and affordable schooling options available for my son? What will be my monthly fee expense? How can the transportation be managed?
3. How much a small car will cost in case public transport is not available on my daily routes?
4. How much expense should I expect for groceries, utilities and some family entertainment?
5. Considering all above, how much can I expect to save per month?

Either mont Kiara or hartamas area is convenience. Lots of Expat stay within walking distance from home to office.

Rental is much more lower compared to kl city center.

For two bedrooms is about 3k and above to myr 4k plus. Depending on age of the apartment and so on.

I suggest you consider the residential area called Valencia which is located in Sungai Buloh. There is an international school there referred to as ELC. It provides quality education at an affordable rate. My son went there and we were very satisfied with the education he received.

There are many living possibilities in Mont Kiara but the international schools there are much more expensive. Additionally, the Mont Kiara area is very crowded verses Valencia which is low density. Additionally, Valencia is a resort community with a golf course, swimming pool, tennis, etc. It is also gated and guarded.

Best Regards

Mike Silvia