90 day visa stamp

Hi james
   I have been in brazil Since august 23rd, i visited chile for 1 week and on my return to brazil ( oct 27th) my passport was stamped and 90 days  was hand written in the stamp box ,and on the immigration entry card too, does this mean my 90 day entitlement has reset from this day,i hope so but don't think , but i thought i would ask.
  Thanks for a great site!
  Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, you have a full 90 day visit from the date of re-entry to Brazil. The reason for this is that the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) agreement with the UK is different from the Schengen Area Agreement, in that those who hold a UK passport can extend their stay to have 180 consecutive days in Brazil. Schengen Area passport holders cannot do that, although in many cases the Federal Police will extend their stay anyway, since under that agreement extension is at the option of the contracting nation.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for reply
Ok ...but i have already been in brasil for almost 3 months, have i recieved another 90 days?
  So  If i went back to chile for example next week would they stamp my passport again with 90 days on my return to brasil ?
  do i still need to go to PF to extend  i plan to return to the uk feb 21st 2016
Thanks again

You are allowed 180 days per year. How you use that depends on you. If you have already had 3 months, and now re-entered Brazil with the possibility of 90 days more, and leave the country again, they'll subtract the days you've been in Brazil from 180 when you re-enter and whatever that result is then that's how many days they'll allow you. Once you've used up your 180 days for the year, then you're going to have to be out of the country until the anniversary date of your FIRST EVER ENTRY to Brazil until you can return.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

hi
if i do not go to the PF in sao paulo
  to extened my visa for another 90 days
  will the penalty or fine be any different when i leave or return to brazil?
  do i need to extend being from the uk?
thanks
gary

Why in the world would you risk the consequences of NOT extending your visa? It's a simple process and costs very little. The potential problems that it would cause by getting the overstay stamp in your passport could be an extreme hardship in the future.

Imange at some point being offered a job in the United Arab Emirates with a salary that would make Bill Gates sit up and take notice, and you couldn't take that job because the UAE used your Brazilian overstay as the perfect reason to refuse your visa... I'd strongly advise you not to risk it, go for the extension. You can thank me later.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

sorry i should of explained better
  i have a flight booked back to london in feb next year... i will already be over my limit by 42 days  so i will get the overstay stamp anyway ...if i go to the PF they may ask to see my ticket where they will see i have intention to overstay, i dont really want to make myself know unnecessarily.
  do you think that when they see my return ticket they won't be to concerned?
   does this change your view on what is best?

thanks again

Well the damage is already done. The fine will be the same and the overstay stamp will go in your passport anyway.

However, you should be aware of the fact that if police in Brazil ask you to identify yourself for any reason at all (even if you're a passenger in a vehicle they stop for routine check, are a patron in a bar and a fight breaks out that you're not involved in) as soon as they find out you're an expat, they are required to turn you over to the Federal Police immediately. At that point you would likely be instructed to leave Brazil within 8 days.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team