Apartment for family with kids

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me, if a family have two daughters (age 11 years old and 5 years old), can they rent an apartment with 2 bedroom only? or must ther rent an apartment with 3 bedroom? Fyi, the family is planning to move to Gent Belgium next year.

Hope someone can answer my question

Thanks

http://urbanisme.irisnet.be/pdf/RRU_Titre_2_FR.pdf   (in French and for Brussels region - this document describes the policy of sufficient space for living).

The "code du logement" is governed by a regional ordinance, and often not by federal law. So there may exist a similar document/law for Flanders. Will keep looking.

they can rent whatever they like. There is no-one going around poking their noses into sleeping arrangements in Belgium. If they wish to rent a studio without bedroom or a chateau with 10 bedrooms, it's their business.

Fyi... my husband will come to Gent in January 2016.
Belgium embassy in my country stated that if the wife and kids wish to follow, the husband must have proper housing for his family. There will be a visit from the police to the apartment to verify. If the apartment stated to be proper, then the family can receive visa to go to Belgium.

My question is what is the limitation of proper there? Since my eldest daughter is already 11 years old next year, some friend said that she must have her own bedroom, and someone else said  no as long as the kids room is big enough for 2 kids.  I just want to know the exact rules. So I can start srarching for the apartment.

There definitely are laws regarding this, but they may not be strictly enforced (there may not be someone poking their noses around :), but in some cases during registration in local office, it becomes a problem if your housing is not adequate to lodge your family members).

You may google "le code flamand du logement" and study the results.

I see from http://www.curbain.be/fr/acheter-louer- … u-logement  that the code (or law) mandates a minimum surface area (surface minimale) for certain number of persons.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer. Now I am reading the documents. Hopefully it will helps my worries.

Yes the police visit. No they do NOT come with a tape measurer to check if your apartment is bigger than the minimum the regional code which say 37m2 for 4 people which is in fact very small, no the police do not check who sleeps in which bed, how many bedrooms there are. The Police simply check you are living where stated, in fact sometimes the police, if you are not in, will only check the name on the doorbell.

You will struggle to find an apartment for 37m2 or less, that is really just a large room.

If you are limited with budget, 2 bedrooms and 60m2 is the minimum I think I could personally live in as a family of 4. You could get a basic 2 bed for 600 euro.

Relax, Gent is a lovely place for children.

:) fiuuhhh.. thank god... your answer is very helpful... thanks a bunch

tervurener wrote:

they can rent whatever they like. There is no-one going around poking their noses into sleeping arrangements in Belgium. If they wish to rent a studio without bedroom or a chateau with 10 bedrooms, it's their business.

-> Yes it is definitely their business. Yes, they can rent whatever they like. As it was asked in an open forum if there are any laws recommending the surface area for a number of inhabitants, I just pointed them to the relevant documentation that I could find. Apologies if my post appeared to suggest anything else. :)

Hello everyone.

Hi aneeshks > thank you for this sharing. You just answered the OP's question ;)

This group is helpful indeed... glad to join u all...

Belgium is a free country and you are free to have 2,3,4 bedrooms. If your girls do not have special needs and do not mind sharing a bedroom 2 bedrooms will do fine.

Hey I am living in Vlander region in 2bhk & have two kids daughter 6 yrs and son 3 years old so when policeman came to visit my apartment for reissue of Residence card, he asked my wife to look for  3 Bhk Apartment in 2 years as son will be 5, they need separate bedroom.

I don't know the rule but will check next renewal.
You may ask your husband to check with townhall.
Regards
Rajinder

The regs have already been published, there is NO obligation to have separate bedrooms!!!!!! The minimum regs are so small per m2 that effectively you don't need to worry and no-one is going to measure your floor space and count up number of occupants.

I know literally hundreds of children who I know share bedrooms.

glad to hear that... yeah.. my daughters still share the same bedroom until now...

tervurener Today 02:10:23

The regs have already been published, there is NO obligation to have separate bedrooms!!!!!! The minimum regs are so small per m2 that effectively you don't need to worry and no-one is going to measure your floor space and count up number of occupants.

I know literally hundreds of children who I know share bedrooms.

yup... I already print out the link that you gave me and tell my husband to bring the print out when he go to Belgium next year. It's just because some friends of us have 2 sons 11 years and 4 years and they said that the apartment agent tell them to rent 3 bedroom apartment because the sons already teenage and need the room of their own. That's why I am a little bit worry. I think the apartments agent only tell them just so that family can rent more expensive apartment without knowing the legal regulation of housing there.

That's why your info is very useful.

Thanks

Hi Admin,

I am living in Evere, Brussels.
I am living with my friend in last 2 year. we are having 2 bhk apartment with separate living room, toilet, washroom, and kitchen.

Now we both want to apply visa for our dependants.

my friend want to apply visa for her wife and I want to apply visa for my wife and 2.5 year old kid.

Can you please suggest, can we both apply visa on same rent agreement.

Thanks,