Heading for Rincon

Hi, we are both retired and want to get out of the rat race here in Florida.  I have worked and lived all over the world so adjustment wise this will be zero to none.
We both love the beach and it seems Rincon has what we are looking for. 

I read all the info on the blog and would like to say “thank you” to everyone for providing such excellent feedback, it is all common sense approach. 

Have already booked my flight and will be arriving in Rincon 11Nov15….12 days!

Mac00677, (or anyone else) seeing that you are in Rincon, I would like to meet up with you for some more pointers.  How do we go about exchanging private info, cell phone, eaddress, etc in order to contact each other privately?

Hello cp1010 and welcome on board

To send personal contact infos to a member, just click on their profil photo. A new window will open in which you will find a green button ' Send a Message' to the far right of your screen.

Click to send message.

Hope this helps and wish you all the best in your expatriation project :top:

Regards
Kenjee

Welcome!  Are going for a visit to check things out or are you making the move in November?

Thank you for the explanation, it does help.

It will be a 2 week visit to check things out such as stores, hospitals, clinics, banks, restaurants, banking,
cell phones, web, ect, etc.  Speaking of banks, do the expats leave their accounts in the mainland and draw down
from there (debit cards, deposit with check into local banks)?

Seeing that medicare is not used in PR, need to check into that also. There was a good post on the blog, but
things change so fast anymore.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We don't live there yet but just use our debit cards there.  Some others can answer about the bank. :)

I left my money in stateside bank because it was already set up for my. direct deposit pension ect. I use my debit card no problem. Although it seems Banco Popular is the most widely used we researched First Bank (which has branches in Florida, so maybe you're familiar), and liked their philosophy of community involvement. There is a branch in Aguada. Just my two cents. Lol!

Banco popular charges you for everything and you need to keep $500 in your account at all times or they will charge you $8 a month .You are better off with a credit union on the island. You are able to take money out of credit union co-op for free .The credit unions have a list of co-op. I know my credit union in the US also is part of this. So I am able to do my banking in the states and pr with no fees

Many time your us debt debt card as credit not debt in many stores but not all . I have no idea why. We can use it as debt at Sam's and Wal-Mart but some groceries stores it doesnt work so it has to run as credit

We found that as well, Sandra~ Weird, I guess.

"Seeing that medicare is not used in PR, need to check into that also."  CP1010 where did you learn that?

Puerto Rico has medicare

http://newtopuertorico.com/triple-s-salud/

I believe I read it on the blog.

Update!....things are really falling into place information wise because of the suggestions and feedback I am
getting from the blog members.....thank you all.

Good news about Medicare.  Made an appointment with a doctor in Aguadilla and he accepts Medicare/aarp.
So, one major hurdle is solved and I'm not  even in Rincon yet.

Read it somewhere on one of the sites, don't remember where because of so much reading.