Moving to Nairobi...need a job first!!

Hi, I am planning to move to Kenya (Nairobi) to be near the man I love and get to know his family better. I am from India. I currently work for one of the largest internet companies in the world. My question is, is it possible to get a decent job in Nairobi that would enable me to support myself and maintain the standard of living I am used to? Would I need to come to Kenya first and then look for a job? Most online job portals state you need to have a work permit before applying online. Please help!!

P.S. My fiance and I plan to tie the knot in Dec 2009.

You may find some insight in this blog about spouse work permits or at the very least a general feel of Kenya:

http://africaexpatwivesclub.blogspot.co … -work.html

Btw, the are a lot of Indians in Kenya who own most of the successful businesses there. It won't be hard for you to get a network that may lead to a job in future.

I lived there for almost 3 years (2002 - 2005) and except for the security situation (which I learned to live with), I thoroughly enjoyed myself there. I in fact miss Kenya now.

Goodluck.

If the man you love is Kenyan, then you can get the Kenya nationality if you are ready to loose the Indian nationality and are planning to stay in Kenya.   

Otherwise, yes, the Kenyan law said that you should have a work permit before doing anything here.  Usually, people come with a six-month tourist visa that you can renew two times.  Then, it is up to you to look for a job, but since you are Indian you have high chances to get a job because, as said above, Indian own most of the businesses.

Rgds,
Peperuka

PS. You said "I currently work for one of the largest internet companies in the world" - What ??  Yahoo, Microsot, Time Warner, Google...  Anyway, for your information, Google Africa is based in Kenya (http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/ … slc=africa)

you can also look for job with langatacareer. they will find a job for you (they did for me!)

Hi, I am planning to move to Kenya (Nairobi) to be near the woman I love and get to know his family better. I am from turkmenistan. I currently work for one of the private school
. My question is, is it possible to get a decent job in Nairobi that would enable me to support myself and maintain the standard of living I am used to? Would I need to come to Kenya first and then look for a job? Most online job portals state you need to have a work permit before applying online. Please help!!

Kenya is a nice place to live in.
I came here last year and I have been enjoying myself. getting a good job in Kenya is possible usually NGO jobs, Finance and IT jobs are the high paying ones. there is a website I have set up for expatriates in kenya