Turkish laws for bringing your foreign car in Turkey

Hello,

The question I have relates bringing your foreign car and driving it in Turkey. The law seems very complicate to understand and I hope that you have a better knowledge than me.

I am aware that you are allowed to bring and use your foreign car in Turkey for a maximum of 180 days per year, unless you have a temporary residence permit and your car is registered with a special plate. The car also needs to be insured and the driver owning a driver license and an International driver license. If my understanding is correct, does the car need to have a Green Card insurance while it's parked in a private car park? In other words, if the car stays for 180 days in a private car park and you don't drive it, do you still require a Green Card for the whole period of 180 days? My understanding is that a Green Card proves that the car is insured if the Police stops you and you are covered, but it should not be linked to the maximum staying rule.

Thanks.
Regards

HI Si18665,

Here is an ongoing discussion on the same topic that you may benefit from.
If it does not answer your query, please feel free to ask further questions on the following thread.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 36#2836145

Hope this will be helpful
Z

Thanks.

The link still doesn't answer to my question and I am aware from previous experiences that apparently nobody knows the right answer. For those who might be interested, I write what I know. Note that this is applicable to a tourist only.

First of all, do not bring your EU car into Turkey, unless you have decided to self-inflict one of the most stressful holiday of your life. If you have no options like me, who needs a car with a tow bar and no car rentals have one, then bear in mind the following points. Note: they are not firm. A Turkish Customs officer in Antalya may decide that you are good to go, whereas a Customs officer in Istanbul may decide that you are wrong and seize your car.

1) Do not leave your car in Turkey for more than 180 days within a calendar year;
2) Have your driver license + international driver license;
3) Do not leave your car and decide to leave via Ferry or Fly. You enter and exit Turkey with your car!
4) Do not bring a trailer, motorbike, or anything that the Customs may deem taxable.
5) If your passport is good and you are authorized to enter in the country, do not automatically assume that you are ready to go. The Customs is a separate entity and decide otherwise.
6) Make sure that your car has a valid insurance. Valid insurance means also a Green Car with the Tr (Turkey) inclusion for 180 days. If you have a Green Card valid for less, make sure you leave before the Green Card expires.
7) Do not assume that because you have valid travel documents, the Customs will be satisfied. They often don't speak English, nor other foreign languages. If they don't understand your documents, they believe that it's safe for them to seize your property and leave the hassle to you.
8) If your property or car is seized, then call .... your angel, if you have one.

I think this is one major, major downer in Turkey. Despite being apparently very friendly and helpful, somehow the officials/customer services are extremely lax at responding to foreigners if they do not speak the language. Putting you on hold and abrupt hanging up multiple times without even an apology is the norm if you can't speak Turkish. I have faced it numerous times.

So, probably I am assuming what you are going through is touristic hell.
Though, if you do find a solution, please feel encouraged to return and state it here for the benefit of other tourists.

Thank you for contributing to the blog
Z

si18665 wrote:

7) Do not assume that because you have valid travel documents, the Customs will be satisfied. They often don't speak English, nor other foreign languages. If they don't understand your documents, they believe that it's safe for them to seize your property and leave the hassle to you.
8) If your property or car is seized, then call .... your angel, if you have one.