International School VS Private school

My son is 3 now, and i was advised by many [including his playschool teacher] to start applying him for year 1.
Now, my plan is for my son to complete his middle school [11 -16] in Singapore. So that means i need to place him in a primary school that will make the transition easy.

I know the quality of local government school is just a tad above atrocious. But I'm a little confused and daunted by the proliferation of so-called International / Private schools. What's the difference, really? From some of the threads i've read, it seems that many are no better than local schools, with better uniforms!

Any advice is appreciated!

No difference in many cases quality wise (bad quality that is). The term international school is marketing led and usually implies taught in English and aim is to pass IGCSEs.

Choice is Mandarin or English medium education (or Malay or Tamil - assume not for you). Mandarin schools will teach like a 1930s grammar school.

If you want a poper education fees will be expensive eg 80k per year. Otherwise best of the rest budget 40k per year.

Under that might as well send them to government school - but have to be Malaysian citizen - and employ tutors to help.