Help appreciated

Hi All

Wonderful to stumble upon this interactive forum!

Would appreciate your inputs regarding our situation. My husband and I are Indians, engineers working and earning about monthly 2.5 lacs  INR and managing to save around 1 lac or so. We have a 4 yrs old child.

My husband is being offered a position in Kuwait with monthly salary (1500+ KWD as single status / 1800+ KWD as family status) + free govt. healthcare + furniture allowance + 90% of education cost of child + family air tickets once a year + 42 days paid leave + annual bonus.

I was wondering about the following:-

a). Is the overall offer lucrative enough to take it up? What sort of savings are we looking at in case of single status / family status?
b). Is it possible for dependent wife to secure job in Kuwait?
c). Schooling quality in Kuwait - I understand that the type of school is determined by the passport nationality and as such we would have to opt for Indian schools. We would not like to compromise on child's education.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forum.

a) I'd take it. You can easily save a thousand KWD per month.
b) Yes it is,
c) In my opinion schools are generally bad or acceptable at most.

Thanks for your feedback!

I would agree with Ribosom!
With the mentioned salary and other perks, savings will be great.
Dependent wife can work but I believe there will be a visa transfer needed and may take 6 months.
In my opinion, this would be a very good opportunity as child is just 4 years of age and Indian schools might not be that bad for young buddies (if at all you are left with no other choice).
My observation is that young families with come to middle east with toddlers and/or leave by the time he/she reaches senior grades for better education.
Just 2 cents of mine.

Thank you for the reply! Its always reassuring to have feedback from people staying there.
In any case, my husband will be on probation for the first 3 months and hence eligible for single status initially. So I guess we will get plenty of time to think about my and our child's move to Kuwait!

Hello there, I also agree with Ribosom and Sunny. The offer is pretty good. The education allowance and Airfare for entire family is added advantage. You have not mentioned whether the salary is inclusive of Housing allowance and Conveyance/Travel allowance or not but it is still good enough.

A decent 2 Bedroom unfurnished Apartment at any place in Kuwait costs anywhere between 300-350 KD and 450-550 KD Fully Furnished. Groceries, Foodstuff, Leisure and weekend outings, Telephone & Internet expenses etc can be taken care of in 200-250 KD. Car Installment & fuel expenses can be managed in maximum 100 KD.

So even if your expenses are around 850-900 KD you can still save around 600 KD (single status) and 900 KD (family status). Thus your savings will be around 1.25 lakhs (single status) and around 2 lakhs (family status). The expenses that I mentioned are for a family/month (estimate). So you can easily save more here with only your husband working. When you start working too, it will only augment your collective Income & Savings.

It is possible for you to look for and find a job matching your qualifications & experience. But you will eventually have to get your residence transferred to the sponsorship of the Employer/Company, which will be done by the Company/Employer. But it is illegal according to Kuwait law for you to work while still under the sponsorship of your husband.

While schooling here in Kuwait cannot match the standards of India, but having said that, there are still Indian schools here which are good and offer good quality of education and other facilities. And anyway you are getting 90% of the education cost of your child so you can choose the topmost of schools without substantially burdening your budget.

So here's wishing you good luck and all the best for your future. I**

ayyaz1972

Really appreciate taking out the time for such a lucid reply!
As you queried, the salary I have mentioned includes all components.

Will surely get in touch with you once move is scheduled. My husband would initially be on single status and hence interested in serviced apartments (inclusive of cleaning, laundry and food).

From what I understand, Kuwait visa /KOC takes lots of paperwork and time!

Thanks once again!

Hello Ma'am! You are most welcome. You are right, visa processing is taking a lot more time now-a-days than it used to few years ago. I would suggest that if you guys are seriously thinking of moving to Kuwait, you need to convey that to your husband's prospective employer as soon as possible. Because during the second half of December, all the visa process are stopped due to year end inventory. and resume again from possibly the first or second week of January. So if you guys convey your affirmation to your prospective employer soon there are chances that they might push through visa process just in time before the year end inventory break.

Wishing you guys good luck again.

We'll the package is good but most Indian schools are influenced Wz Mallu accent if u can bear this for few years good enough , or else American or British school way too expensive initially but education here overall ok ok not so good as in india

Dhiraj

Thank you for sharing your perspective! Appreciate it..