I am moving to Libya

Hi

I am a civil engineer moving to Libya for a project basis , Could any one provide some info ?
1)  it a safe country ?
2) Whats cost of living for a 3 member family in USD ?
3) Indian community ?
4) Food culture , vegetarian available ?

Regards

Welcome to Expat.com Rajumoving :)

While awaiting responses from other members you can also have a look to the several discussion threads in the Libya forum. Some information might be useful to you.

Regards
Yud

Rajumoving wrote:

Hi

Namaste

1)  it a safe country ? Yes, unless you venture into dark alley/late night. Rest precautionary measures- You will come to know when you land.

2) Whats cost of living for a 3 member family in USD ? I think its  debatable. Everyone's lifestyle  and priorities are different. If saving is your priority, then dont worry.. You can save coz nothing much to spend on.

3) Indian community ? There is. You can socialize depending on where you get put up.

4) Food culture , vegetarian available ? Outside- Vegetarian choices are limited [sandwich/pizza etc]. Mainly non- vegetarian diet.

The turkish 'restaurants' do salads, some bread shops do falafel, plenty of fruit & veg stalls for you to D.I.Y.
I've not starved in the last 2 years. :)

Yup,I can see that ;)

Rajumoving wrote:

Hi

I am a civil engineer moving to Libya for a project basis , Could any one provide some info ?
1)  it a safe country ?
2) Whats cost of living for a 3 member family in USD ?
3) Indian community ?
4) Food culture , vegetarian available ?

Regards

Hi Raju,

Cost of living can vary from person to person ... (1US$ = 1.3LD)
Food - you could spend anything between 500 to 1000 dinars a month on food. Vegetarian, home cooked meals should cost about 500 a month. Vegetables are easily available and not expensive... rice and 'daals' are available too.
Accommodation - Most companies should provide fully furnished accommodation ... Rent can be anything from 1000 dinars onwards for a 2 BD flat.... depending on the area.
Transportation - Again, this should be provided for by the company. Taxis charge about 3 dinars for a trip less than about 10km ... this may vary individually.
School tuition fees - Very high in the International/British/American schools. Some companies pay for the same. Fees in the Indian school not so high.

Hope that helps!!

Hi Raju,
  I am also new to this place. Try to read through teh contents of 
1)About Prices (2009) in Lybia http://www.temehu.com/Prices.htm
You could buy almost all asian food stuff here. Fruits and Vegetables are fresh and fairly priced.
2)About Weather http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/coun … t=TT000330
3)Indian Community, I am yet to find many Indians here..There could be many Indians around as there is an Indian School (INDIAN COMMUNITY SCHOOL)

If you know Arabic it is really good as most of the citizens speak only Arabic. It is rare to find even Sign boards in English. If you are planning to move here, I strongly recommend you to start learning the language as it is an essential commodity to smoothly run the day to day life here...starting from the interaction with the grocery shop owner to the taxi driver. It never meant that you would be stuck if you don't know arabic as you could see even I could survive here for some time now.

Leo77 wrote:

I strongly recommend you to start learning the language as it is an essential commodity to smoothly run the day to day life here...starting from the interaction with the grocery shop owner to the taxi driver. It never meant that you would be stuck if you don't know arabic as you could see even I could survive here for some time now.

Useful definitely. Essential, definitely not. I've managed 2 years+ with hello, thank you and '100:100' ;)