Importing our belongins

Hello Expats!  We are visiting in April and hope to move by the end of next summer.  We are coming from Canada and we were wondering what the best (and least expensive) it would be to get our belongings there.  Any advice??

Thanks in advance!

Monica

No good answer for that one.  If you do the QRP and want to become citizens, you will have to go off of the QRP and pay the tax on your belongings.  If you do not use the QRP, you will be taxed immediately.  QRP costs $2,000 (when I did it.)  Residency is back logged quite a bit and residencies are few to none now.  Citizenship doesn't happen for 5 years after residency.  With the QRP you will not pay the taxes and duties on your belongings. but the snag comes later if you want to stay in Belize.  Then they will want even more money from you.  Many of us tire of waiting in line each month to get our passports stamped allowing us to stay another month.
Belize is a poor country, and one of their primary sources of income is from extracting funds from expats.  Just be aware, check with a lawyer, and do the best you can.

Thanks for that advice  :top:  I was mostly asking about how you "physically" brought it.  Is there a company that will come and pick it up from our house or do we need to drive it to a port?  If so what and how and who??

Do not know much about QRP...but what I do know is that it is not regulated/administered by the BZ Immigration Dept.  If you use the QRP system you are not charged duty unless you want to sell the items you brought in duty free. You can stay indefinitely as QRP.  If you come in as a "tourist" and have your passport stamped every month for the first year you are then eligible to apply for permanent residency...then after you have been here for 5 years ( which includes the 1st year to get residency) you can apply for citizenship.  I'm not sure what all you want to bring in but there are many things available now that weren't available a decade ago.  Check with a local moving company in your area to get their advice on how to ship items to Belize.  There is truly no need to check with a lawyer...those outside the country of Belize do not know Belize laws and if you are in Belize you  only need to check with the Immigration Dept/Customs Dept.  If one tires of standing in line to get their passport stamped...well, one could always leave.

You might be able to stay indefinitely if you submit paperwork concerning your bank account, submit a new photo every year, show you have brought in $2,000/month (but they do relax a bit on that) every December and pay your $30 to be here. That's after the initial $2,000 paid to apply for the QRP.

When I moved after checking into shipping I opted to bring a small trailer with essentials, as anything shipped the cost of shipping is also added to the  cost to import and subject at least duty not sure of the other costs.

The balance is waiting for residency then it will be brought down.   
Depends on your needs, very hard to get  straight answers from customs or immigration.

So you drove from Canada to Belize?  Then you had to pay import on your vehicle and the goods in the trailer correct?

Also, how was the drive across Mexico?  Seems a little tricky to go through customs with everything?

The drive through Mexico was good and I would not hesitate to do it again there are described routes that I followed. We where not sure about whether we would stay in Belize or carry on south looking, so did not do the import on arrival, which would have been simple. Still waiting for customs to finish up.
Customs at the Belize  border was no real problem, just a delay in the trip. Get documents for what they want to charge you and ask  to see the regs on the costs, they wanted extra money for a few different things but when asked for the supporting documents the fees were waived.
Mexico came through as a tourist  on a 6 month permit then crossed near Chetumal.

Perfect.  Where did you get the route through Mexico from?

I used the route from JohnP on the Belize forums it is also up on the facebook On the Road in Belize. I then picked up a new Garmin GPS added the Cenrut Central American addition , plotted the route on garmin's Basecamp and transferred it to the GPS. This gave me a highly accurate nav  all the way from Canada to Belize.

We did pick up a paper map as some doubts did start, but it only confirmed that we were on track. The additions for fuel stops, restaurants and hotels on the GPS were also extremely useful

I will add to what @waljoa said. John's route is great, my only trouble was when I accidentally got off of it and had to pay a "fine" for an imaginary "infraction" in Tuxpan.  I would definitely invest in a paper map and a pre-loaded Garmin GPS and probably a Mexican phone if I ever make the trip again. Mexico was basically an information blackout for me, not at all comfortable.

We were thinking of bringing tools, personal belongings  and out kitchen stuff mostly.  I guess we will see what is available to us there and decide if it is worth the trouble.
We were thinking about the QRP program also but it doesn`t seem to all that either.

Thank you for all the great info!