British and Ukrainian Couple Looking for New Home

Hi there guys!

A quick introduction: I'm a British man and I'm currently dating a Ukrainian girl. We met on board a cruise ship (I'm still onboard) but neither of us particularly want to go back onboard as we'd like to have our own space, own place, and the little things in life - Wi-Fi, swimming pool, television - that you don't get on a ship (at least, not cheaply).

Now obviously, Ukraine is not the best place in the world to be right now, and neither of us are hugely keen on being in the UK, at least for now. I'm setting up an online business in January, which is a long term project, but we're looking for somewhere she might be able to find a job without a hugely difficult, arduous and expensive visa process.

I've heard job opportunities in our field (customer service, tourism, entertainment) aren't TOO difficult to find in Malta, and her English is very good, and we both speak German and Russian as well. The obvious issue would be finding the job and getting a visa to go with it, without actually visiting Malta in the first place (the rules for Schengen Visas for Ukrainian citizens at the moment are ridiculous, even for Tourist visits...) and I wondered if any of you have been through similar processes - what you advise us to do, if you knew of any jobs going, and whether you think it's a valid option or whether we should consider somewhere else entirely.

Money isn't really the issue - we'd happily work a moderately-paid job in order to rent our own place, have a decent social life and simply be together before the inevitable question of marriage comes up. I'm not against it, but our philosophy is very much: we'd like to get married because we WANT to, not because the authorities MAKE us (in order to secure Visas).

Any help or advise would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi,

from my personal experience you will not be able to obtain residency for your non-EU girlfriend as a family member until you have lived together in Malta for more than 2 years. 

So the best you can hope for her is temporary residency which does not allow her to work in Malta.

If she finds work and succeeds in getting a work permit in Malta she will be able to stay for one year or as long as her work contract states with the possible option of renewal so you might be able to get over the 2 year threshold that way.

It is very difficult to find work for someone who is not pysically in Malta.

I'm not sure if it is easier in any other European country at the moment.

Money will always be the issue in Malta as the kind of jobs you are talking about are seasonal jobs in the low paying sector.

Cheers
Ricky